What Happened?

Lucas POV
Everything went by so quickly. Before we knew it, we were being lead out by officers. I tried to stay behind to be with Riley, but they wouldn't let me. They kept pulling Zay and I by our arms. We walked through the doors, and outside. There were police officers surrounding the school, they were everywhere. Different newscasts were here, I didn't even know there were that many. Students and teachers, everyone was here. The first thing I see is Mr. Mathews. The look on his face when he sees only Zay and I come out, is something that will haunt my dreams forever. Zays mom ran up to him, gave him the biggest hug. I wish my mom and dad were here. But dads still looking for Madison. Farkle comes up to me, he hugs me. That was the first time. Maya and Mr. Mathews come up to me.
Maya - Why isn't Riley with you?
She starts to head for the doors to get into the school, but Farkle catches her.
Mr. Mathews - Lucas.
Lucas - Sir.
Mr. Mathews - Where is my daughter.
You could tell he was doing his best trying to keep his tears in.
I kept stuttering. I didn't know why to say, I'm not even entirely sure what happened. How do I tell him? How do I say it out loud? I couldn't.
So Zay says it.
Zay - She tried to save everyone Mr. Mathews. She was so brave.
Mr. Mathews - What happened in there?
Maya - No. Don't say it! Don't say it! You're lying!
Maya breaks down. She sobbing and hitting Farkle to let her go. She kept saying she just wanted to be with her best friend. We all wanted to be with her.
Mr. Mathews - Lucas. Is my daughter dead?
Lucas - I don't know, sir.