17.) According To You

Raine's P.O.V

After what Michael said when I got home, I couldn't keep the blush off of my face.

He called me beautiful.

He couldn't have meant it though, he was probably just saying it to be nice, right? I've never really been called beautiful before. Well, Geoff is the only one who ever said it, but it was coming from a father's point of view, not a high school aged boy.

"Rai? Are you awake?" I heard Calum ask from outside my bedroom door. I glanced over at the clock realizing that it's nearly three in the morning and I should probably be asleep, but I'm not.

"Yeah I am." I responded.

"Can we talk?" He asked.

"Yeah sure, come in." I replied. He pushed the door open, closing it behind him.

He came over and sat at the foot of my bed and ran his hands through his hair. He looked extremely stressed, and extremely tired. He has bags under his eyes and he looks like he hasn't slept in three days.

"Jeez Cal, you look-" I started.

"Like shit, yeah I know." He said.

"I was gonna say exhausted, but yeah. What's going on with you? Is everything okay?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No, it's really not. It's kids from school." Cal said without making eye contact with me.

"What about them?" I asked.

"They found out that you're living with us now and they keep calling my phone, and texting me, keeping me up all night. They keep saying shit like watch out for her, or heard she's psycho. It's really obnoxious and annoying. I just don't know how much more of it I can take before I snap." Calum explained.

My face dropped into a frown.

"They have even started coming by and throwing shit at my windows. Eggs, pebbles, ice cream, basically anything that will make a mess or keep me up. It's becoming a problem." Calum continued.

I knew this was too good to be true.

"Are you here to tell me to pack up and leave?" I asked.

"Well no but-" Calum started.

"You don't have to explain yourself Calum. I get it. You let me stay here to be nice, but you don't wanna be nice to the freak anymore. It's totally cool, I'm used to it." I said as I got out from under my covers and grabbed my shoes, sliding them on my feet.

"No, Raine. That's not it." He said quickly.

"Then what is it Calum? You want me to use the back door from now on? You wanna take separate cars so you aren't seen with me? No thanks, I'd rather just leave then have to hide and be sneaky because I'm apparently not welcome here." I snapped unintentionally.

I grabbed my phone and walked out of the room and to the front door.

"Take all my shit to Geoff tomorrow. He'll get it to me somehow." I said as I slammed the door behind me and took off down the street, with no idea where I'm going. As long it's away from here.

What if Michael feel's the same way? And their parents.

I'm just a burden on everyone aren't I?

Why did I have to be born into this life?

"Why did I have to be the daughter of a rapist. Why me?"