Twenty four- Those Who Burn

"Who is Jaxon Butler to you?"

"What's with the walking stick"

"Is it true that you delivered a baby in a taxi?"

"What designer made your dress?"

"Where Is Jon Rossi?"

"How did your deceased parents make an appearance?"

"Did any of this actually happen or is it down to a sick reality tvshow?"

"When will we have a king and heir to our kingdom?"

Aramine faced the press from behind her table, silently judging them behind the barriers of bulletproof glass six foot high, barely hearing the questions through the ring speaker holes in the glass.
She didn't really have an answer, to any of the questions,
She twiddled with the fabric of the Lacey golden cuffs on her dark blue dress, she bit her lip in anxiousness and cleared her throat,

The guests looked on expectantly.
"Do not believe the rumours, these questions do not matter, but what does matter is that your kingdom is safe in my hands and we will become stronger than ever. Only believe exactly what you hear from me. And i say this, stop caring about the past mistakes and focus on how we will be able to work together in the future to improve living standards and look forward to some changes.that is the only comment I have to add on the matter." With that Aramine rises from her seat as the cameras flash and she is bombarded with questions.

Ignoring all she to the limousine to an awaiting Logan,

He smiled and kissed her hand.

"Well done."  Is the only thing he says before they drive off to the bonfire sight,

On arrival Aramine stepped out of the car with The assistance of Logan who offers her a hand.

"Thanks" she whispers, brushing her usual fiery ringlets in front of her face to hide her pink tinted cheeks.

They drive in silence together to her next stop, a bonfire, with more to burn than a birthday card this time.

Jon and Edith.

After arriving Aramine stepped out to be greeted by raging crowds demanding revenge for their children's murders.

A tank of gasoline was poured at the straw by their feet and all over their bodies, as they were hung up on stakes, arms and legs bound by ropes, levitating them off the ground like witches in old fashioned folk lore, Edith whimpered and cried, apologising and begging to be set free, but Aramine stared on with a hard face.

"Today we burn theses traitors for murdering your children, justice will be served and we will start a new era today. It has been a dark week but we will leave it behind us." Aramine said, voice strong as the crowds cheered on, faces contorting in anger at the traitor's actions.

Cheers of "burn them!" And booing were heard until Aramine drowned the noises out.

Approaching Edith Aramine had only one question, "why?" She asked, getting straight to the point.

"He's my mate" she replied emotion crossing her eyes as Jon remained passive.

Then over to Jon.

"Why did your stupid moon ranger kill mum and dad?" She whispered, the vulnerability of her childhood being reflected in her words.

"Oh come on sis! You know moon rangers are dangerous, but killing mum and dad, that was me..." he screamed as black blood trickled down his face and stained his white teeth as he laughed.

"Any final words?" Logan asked through gritted teeth.

After silence and quiet tears from Edith Aramine but in.

"Burn in hell." Aramine cussed at them, locking eyes with both of them as Jon smiled and Edith's chin wavered from her sobs.

And the match was lit.

They were set alight.
And Edith screamed and thrashed as the flames licked her skin as the crowd cheered.

The flames burned until early morning but Aramine had turned away hours before. Under the watchful glare of Logan, who wrapped her under his arm, and held her screaming body through her nightmares until she knew she was safe.

Until they gave being mates a chance.

And started a fresh, somewhere new, somewhere without Jon, just for a while.

still Queen.

Just a little more human.