This is Goodbye: Part 43 of 11

Papyrus was helping Toriel cook spaghetti when he heard the familiar sound of a Gaster Blaster firing far off.

"Sans?" He took his apron off. "He must be in trouble!" Papyrus ran out of the mansion.

"Papyrus, wait!" Toriel cried. "Did he say Sans was in trouble?" She set down her apron and raced after Papyrus.

Chara slashed at Sans again, but he only moved to the side, dodging. He waved his hand, sending Chara through a tunnel of bones.

She tucked herself in, managing not to touch the sides. But as she exited the tunnel, she tripped over a bone, losing HP. "OW!" Chara cried, falling to her knees.

Sans teleported to stand in front of her, Gaster Blasters firing up behind him.

She looked up just in time to see a wall of Gaster Blasters firing streams of white magic at her.

Chara screamed as the blasters hit their mark spot on. She lay in a steaming heap, her eyes returning back to red.

Papyrus and Toriel watched the last few minutes of the battle behind the glass wall of Sans and Frisk's house.

"We shouldn't interfere. Something important is going on." Papyrus said, fixated on Sans's figure.

Sans bent down to cradle Chara's body in his arms. His tears began to fall down onto her face. "I'm sorry."

Chara blinked up at him, tired. "No, I'm sorry. Frisk may have done some bad things, but I was the one that hurt you. I loved you too much to let you go."

"It's better off this way." She sighed. "Thank you for releasing me from the hate that was consuming me."

Her eyes flickered to blue. "Thank you for everything, Sans. I'm sorry I have to leave you alone to take care of Fletcher, but I know you'll be a better parent than I could ever be."

Sans stared down at Frisk's dying face. "D-don't leave." He sobbed.

"Do.. you love me?" Frisk looked back at Sans, the light dimming from her eyes.

Sans hesitated. He wasn't sure how he felt about Frisk and Chara. He cared for them, but it wasn't the same as he felt for his friends and family. It wasn't exactly as a lover either.

But as he looked down at her, he realised what he had to say.

"Y-Yes. I love you, Frisk. And I love you too, Chara. Despite everything."

Frisk smiled. "Then I'm happy, no matter what comes." Her head tilted slightly. "Take my soul, Sans. So I'll always be with you."

"I-I will." Sans blinked back his tears. "Rest, my love." He kissed her gently as her eyes finally glazed over.