A Choice Between Ethics and Love: Part 34 of 9

(A few days later.)

Since that night, Sans has been distant, barely talking to either Chara or Frisk. Instead, he spends a lot of time in his study, making random models or sketching out notes.

Chara sat on the edge of the couch in their living room, having a mental conversation with Frisk.

"Something's up with Sans." Chara thought. "But I don't know what to do. He's been so distant ever since that night."

"I know. I wish I knew him better. It seems like no matter how close someone is to him, he's still a mystery. And it's not helping that he's pushing us away." Frisk replied.

"Do you.. think he.. loves us?" Chara asked. Her voice was tinged with
desperation.

"I-I don't know. I don't know if he's ever loved someone that way to be honest."

Chara looked down sadly. "I.. we.. love him so much, don't we? It's probably unhealthy." She laughed humourlessly.

"Yes." Frisk said quietly. "I know he cares for us though, even if he doesn't love us like that."

"How can you be sure? We've both done terrible things. He might just be playing along to survive." Frisk was silent at this statement.

"Oh yeah. You haven't told him, have you? That you  were the one to choose genocide, not me?" Chara smirked. "He probably still thinks you're some innocent angel."

"I-I couldn't tell him. I love him too much to let him know. It would hurt him more than be beneficial."

Chara's eyes narrowed. "And so he continues to think that I'm the evil demon that's ruining his life. I see how it is." Chara crossed her arms and glared across the room.

"He doesn't love us. Not that way. I mean, you know about the soul-melding thing, right? If two monsters, or in our case, a monster and a human, truly love each other, their souls will appear before them during sex to meld their magic together. This would help them to create a baby. And his soul has never appeared when we have sex with him, although sometimes ours does."

"Is that even possible for monsters and humans?" Frisk asked. "I mean, we're a different species altogether."

Chara sighed. "I don't know. Maybe it isn't, I'm not sure." She stared off into the distance again.

"You know.." Chara sat up, suddenly intrigued. "We could try something.."

"Is it dangerous? I don't want to hurt him again." Frisk replied in an apprehensive tone.

"It shouldn't be. But I want your approval for it. What do you say? It could change how he feels for us."

Frisk paused, caught between ethics and her want for Sans to love her back.

Finally, she sighed. "Alright, it's worth a try." Chara smiled.