Galaxies

Anyone who loves Owl City knows we are hootowls! This happens to be a song on my repeat on my kindle.

Here is about the song and why I love it so much and about Owl City aka Adam Young! (Although this was wrote when it came out many years before)

*

Owl City's Adam Young--a 24-year-old small-town Minnesotan who had never been on an airplane until two years ago--has experienced many extraordinary moments over the past 18 months (including calling his mom back home on his cellphone while standing on The Great Wall of China). 

Young's travels came in the wake of the blockbuster success of Owl City's major-label debut album--the lush, lovingly created Ocean Eyes, which was released by Universal Republic Records in July 2009. 

Advertisement

Filled with whimsical melodies and blissful beats, Ocean Eyes topped the Billboard Rock, Alternative, and Dance/Electronic charts, and was certified platinum in the U.S. The album spawned the quadruple-platinum single "Fireflies," which hit No. 1 in 24 countries, including the U.S. (twice), and sold more than four million downloads. Its eye-popping success made Owl City an international phenomenon, selling nearly 12 million tracks worldwide, selling out headlining shows in the U.S., Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and Asia, and racking up more than 98 million total plays on MySpace.

Advertisement

Young's adventures are evocatively detailed on the impossibly catchy electro-pop songs that make up Owl City's self-produced new album, All Things Bright and Beautiful, which finds Young expanding his sonic palette as he takes his listeners into a verdant musical dreamland. Throughout the album, Young retains his trademark optimism, letting the listener know that no matter how tough times get, there's always light at the end of the tunnel. 

"I would feel weird if I were to communicate anything other than optimism, because it's just who I am," Young says. "It's always been in me to make Owl City a vehicle that sends a hopeful message. As a listener, I'm drawn to things that are really uplifting. When a certain melody grabs my ear, it makes me feel like I could be a better person." 

About how music and his faith merge, Young says, “Music is something that is fused to who I am. It allows me to breathe deeply, it lets me feel, imagine, aspire and dream in the most beautiful ways imaginable. Music is something that I can't imagine living without, and though it means more to me than the world itself, there is something that weighs significantly heavier on the scale of all things valuable and important in my life, that being my relationship with Jesus Christ. I've never wanted to be shy about the reason behind why I do what I do, why I create art, why I dream and imagine. That reason is my faith in a God more powerful and omnipotent and full of love for us than words can even begin to describe.” 

I had the great opportunity to interview Adam about the stand-out single, “Galaxies.” 

Describe to us the message behind the song “Galaxies.” Please share any personal application regarding your walk as a Christian in the song, in particular the lyrics: “He is the saving grace of the galaxies... Dear God, You’re the only North Star I would follow this far.”

The song as an overall conception was written from the first-person perspective of the flight commander of the space shuttle Challenger that tragically exploded in 1986. I wrote the song reflecting what I would be feeling and how I would answer for my life if I entered into eternity in a split second the way the victims did. The song is all about what I would say for myself if, all of a sudden, I was face to face with God and I had to answer for my actions in life. It is a bold statement, and with that imagery in mind, God is my only North Star that I would follow regardless of what happens. There’s a sound clip with President Ronald Reagan speaking about the victims of space shuttle Challenger that exploded on the track “January 28, 1986.” In the sound clip, Reagan pays tribute to their bravery and how they “touched the face of God.”