nine: in which she is sent to 1994

"I sought a coven of witches who were new to the town, Aja's Coven. Kol had mentioned them before and Bonnie who is a friend of Elena's also talked about them. I had Kol's old Grimoire from when he was a practicing witch. The spells there, well, you can't find all of them anymore. I offered it as a gift for their help which they agreed. 

"But Witches don't get along with vampires. 

"When they came to understand that I was bringing back Kol Mikaelson, they refused to help me. They couldn't kill me seeing as Niklaus Mikaleson would have come after them, he knew where I was and what I was trying to do, even if he didn't believe it would work. And if they refused to help me I would have told Niklaus and they'd be forced to bring back Kol. Instead they sent me here. 

"I spent three days crying and two accepting everything. Maybe I'm supposed to be alone, maybe destiny wants me to stay out of trouble and out of the way. So, I've come to peace with this. 

"This is me, Kai. A stupid human who was abused by her parents, who had her family killed, who was a charity case for her cousin, who no one wants, who no one cares about."

Ria finished her story but the anxiety pumping through her body kept its pace. Her face was flushed and she feared what Kai would do. 

Kai needed leverage from her and every word from her mouth gave him that. She was more scared with what he could hold against her, what he could manipulate and scare her with more than any physical pain he could inflict. 

Kai stared at Ria with a masked gaze. She didn't know what he was thinking, but behind that was a whirlwind of comments and feelings that Kai was having trouble controlling. 

She was as messed as he was. 

He was glad to hear that her parents were killed, they deserved that for abusing and rejecting their daughter. He was ecstatic to know that Benedict's heart was ripped out of his chest, that bastard deserved so much. But the deal with Kol Mikaelson, yes he was a tricky character. 

Kai decided that he despises him too. 

Ria was damaged alright. Like him, she knew pain and rejection and fear. But she had also found love, something Kai never knew. There was too much thinking happening that Kai's head began to hurt. He decided to contemplate this at night, where his thoughts could be said aloud. 

He cleared his throat, "Well, see that wasn't so hard now was it?" he tossed the locket to Ria who caught it between her hands. She popped it open, but once again was annoyed when she found that the photo was missing. 

"But now it's my turn."