thirty-three: In Which he Siphons

"Again,"

"This is bullsh-"

"language, David"

"I don't see why Denny doesn't have to do this!"

"It's because I'm better."

David scoffed, an orange ball of energy glowing in his hand as he aimed it. "You wish."

"Hey, kid," Kai brought his attention back. "Again."

Macy and Jean sat to the side of the clearing where the boys were practicing defensive and offensive techniques. Kai had been accompanying them for four days now, and he had proven himself an asset to teaching the group spells significant to the Gemini Coven.

"There's something off about him," Jean commented with critical eyes. "He's hiding a dark secret, I can feel it in him."

"Maybe he's running away from his past. Like you guys. The difference is we have each other, he's alone."

"Alone by circumstance or by choice?" Jean shook her head and grit her teeth becoming suspicious that Macy, like Denny and David, had also fallen for Kai's cunning and manipulative personality.

David fell to the ground with a groan but he made no attempt at getting up. "I'm broken, Macey your boyfriend has broken me."

Jean noted the blush on her cheeks.

"Denny, will you take David to the river and help him wash the mud off?"

The orange haired boy flicked his wrist motioning for his brother to follow.

"We need to start moving again," Macey explained to the grinning sociopath. "We don't stay in one place for more than a week."

"Boyfriend, huh?"

She blushed again, turning to Jean who followed after her brothers with a roll of her eyes.

"Kids," she muttered under her breath. "They've got quite an imagination, huh?"

They followed after the three who were arguing and splashing each other by the river. There was an alluring innocence to them and Kai understood Macy's want to protect them from the Elysium Coven.

"They mean the world to me."

"I know what you mean."

Macy but her lip and asked, "Who was she? The person who meant a lot to you, I mean. "

"Someone who I became too emotionally invested in. That was a poor investment, lost all my earnings and got kicked out on the street." he grinned, trying to brush off the evident pain in his eyes.

"I'm sorry that happened to you," she held his hand in a comforting sign. "That's why it's so important to me that these kids feel loved, and protected, and that they never experience loneliness or hate. Monsters aren't born Kai, they're created."

Her words stuck with him as she ran off to stop David and Denny from pulling Jean into the river.

For months he searched for someone who would give him the same feelings of peace and excitement that Ria had.

Each was a foul attempt, and the fear of losing peace and love urged his psychotic tendencies to murder them all.

But Macy had something in her the others didn't.

And Kai wasn't going to make the mistake of losing her.