chapter thirty-five: In Which They Are Caught

It was wondering, really.

One small and yet significant event occurred changing the plans of fate in such drastic and unforgiving ways.

Kai was going to tell them the truth about who he was and what he had done. The group of witches would accept him regardless of his insecurities and evil actions.

David and Denny would continue to lead normal, human lives. David would go to college on a football scholarship and becomes a doctor. Denny would become a professor at a prestigious university for health sciences. They would each find and marry a girl, leading happy and quiet lives.

Jean would join another Coven of witches in New Orleans, she would continue to use her magic and become an important figure in witchcraft.

Macy and Kai would get married and spend the rest of their lives away from the supernatural mayhem. They would be happy.

The shadow watched from behind the tree, already sending Ria news of its uncovering.

Gaeil turned to Afriel, "How certain are you she will follow through?"

"Do not question me, Witch," he snapped turning his electrifying gaze to her. "I have faith in my creation."

The witch stepped back in bewilderment, "You're creation? She is but a human with supernatural abilities. She is not your creation."

"It astounds me when you claim to know so much and yet act in surprise when something like this comes up. Ria is my creation, as are many others like her."

"What do you plan on doing?"

"I don't answer to you, or did you forget that? But I'm feeling generous, so I will answer your question. I know Ria will do anything for me, and I will have her destroy the evil on earth. After which, she will help me lock the defenders of the prison world.

"The defenders of the prison world?" She paused, eyes wide in alarm again. "If you destroy their power and reign the entire balance of every universe will be destroyed."

"It's time to start over Witch. A second chance if you will. Think of all of this as a trial run, and now that we know what works and what doesn't, we can start over and make it better."

Gaeil didn't press further because Ria was running towards them with the news. She was, however, beginning to have second thoughts about what they were going to do.

~~~

Ria was confident.

Nothing could stop her, she was energized and prepared to follow through with the plan for eternal peace. For a world without pain or suffering or fear.

But as she stepped forward she sees the witches that she was sent to kill.

They were children, barely in their teenage years.

"Ria," Afriel warned appearing beside her. "What is wrong?"

They were laughing, chasing each other with sticks and smiling without a care or fear. There was something innocent on their faces, and the shield on her eyes began to fade as tears took their place.

Her sister Belle would have been the same age as them if she was alive. She would have gone to the park with Ria, she wouldn't be buried in the cold ground alone.

Afriel called her name again but Ria doesn't turn away.

"Afriel they are just children."

"They aren't children Ria, they are terrible and evil witches who stole their powers. They are going to hurt others."

A tear rolled down her cheek, "They are just children."

"Ria listen to me, the witches have begun the spell. You have to go now."

"You've been manipulating me."

Afriel stepped back when a cold gust of energy flowed through them. Ria blinked back the tears, hardening her glare at the Angel.

"Ria, what do you mean child?"

"You forced me to train even after pushing my body to its limit. You put the evil thoughts in my head so I would kill the Guild- all except for the Witch. You never cared for me, you just wanted me to do your work."

"You aren't thinking straight, Ria."

"Aren't I?" she demanded, scoffing. "I couldn't feel anything for months, Afriel. You numbed me, and then anytime you wanted something from me you'd allow me to feel the heat of your touch, and you'd trick me into thinking it was the right thing to do."

Jean screamed out in pain.

The witches of the Elysium Coven emerged from the forest around the three children. Danny and David fell to the ground, grabbing their heads as an agonizing pain rips through them.

"No," Ria breathed out. "Afriel call them off."

"I don't control the witches Ria."

She turned around and ran to them, pushing past the witches in a trance.

She focused the shadows to form a wall around them, not enough to break away from the spell but enough to numb their pain.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

Jean, David, and Danny looked at each other with affection, the boys nod to their sister giving her the permission to do it.

This was something the three of them had discussed behind Macy's back; if the Elysium Coven ever found them, they would force Macy to kill them.

"You have to kill us," Jean explained. "If the Elysium Coven does it, they will be able to contain our energy and put it in other babies. They'll do this all over again, they won't stop as long as they have the magic. But if you kill us, this all stops. They won't be able to hurt anyone ever again."

"It's the only way to stop the spell," Denny urged. "We've been trying to look for a clause, a way to stop it. This is the only way."

"Please," David begged.

"I can't kill you, you're only kids. You shouldn't have to pay for their evils."

"No, but no one else has to either. You can make it stop, please."

Ria choked back a sob, nodding her head.

She closed her eyes, focusing the energy of the sun and the electricity in the air. She blocked her senses, and an ear piercing scream burned her throat. The shadows dragged Jean, Denny, and David's souls out of earth's realm and their lifeless bodies dropped to the ground.

Gaeil stepped away from her Coven, a part of her feeling okay with the outcome. As for the other witches, only anger and rage remained.

Ria channeled the Addonexus within and threw her head back, crying out and unleashing the shadows against every witch. One by one they dropped to the ground.

Ria turned to Afriel who watched with the look of a disapproving and angry father. "What have you done?"

"You don't control me,"

A white fire surrounded the Angel, burning his essence.

"Ria, stop," he warned but she forced the fire to becomes larger. She turned away from his screams, tears streaming down her face and limbs weak.

There, on his knees holding a dead witch, was Kai Parker.

Their eyes locked. Kai's glare was sharp and murderous against her exhausted doe-eyes.

That was when knew that she broke his heart for the second time.