chapter fifty-four: In Which She Must Mend

Bonnie stood by the window, sipping from a cup of lemon tea. She hadn't left her home since the day Ria Emmers and Kai Parker placed that spell on her, and it had been a lonely and miserable week. 

Her phone rang for the eighth time since the morning but she ignored it. The calls were from Elena and Caroline; both were restlessly searching for a cure to this curse but it was a failed mission. She didn't want to hear more news of failed attempts.

As the ringing stopped and the notification appeared on the screen of another missed call, Bonnie stared at the wallpaper of her lock screen. It was a picture of Enzo St. John- the man who promised his heart to her. 

Her vision became blurred with unshed tears as paranoia overtook her thoughts; that she would never be with him again. 

Shock registered in her heart as she realized this pain amounted to the same pain she had put Ria through. 

This was Karma at its best. 

~~~

Ria raised her head and looked out the window as an emotion stirred from deep within her heart. She ignored the curious looks from Davina and Elijah, and she walked by Kol who called out her name. One step in front of the other, she made her way outside and stood at the front of the house. 

"What's wrong?" Kol asked from behind her. His warm hand on her shoulder brought her back to reality and she blinked twice. 

"I thought," she stuttered and shook her head, "nevermind. It was probably noth-"

A car swerved into the pathway and drove up, stopping abruptly in front of the porch. As the smoke from the rocks and dirt settled down, Kai poked his head out and greeted them with a grin. 

"I'm not late, am I?"

She ignored the hand tightening on her shoulder and ran down the steps. She threw her arms around his neck. She hiccupped back a cry, holding his body so close that she felt the steady beating of his heart against her chest. 

"Awe," Kai cooed as he held her with the same amount of affection, "looks like someone missed me."

"Shut-up" she mumbled into his neck. 

"Now that's not very nice." 

Elijah came down the steps, followed by Davina and Kol. The older Mikaelson cleared his throat and motioned to the car where the three young witches eyed the adults cautiously. Jean opened the door first and stepped out being followed by her brothers. 

Ria stepped back but Kai kept an arm around her waist. The small act sent a thousand butterflies racing in her chest. "This is Jean, David, and Denny," she introduced. 

"Welcome to New Orleans," Davina smiled and motioned for the witches closer. "The coven will be so excited to know that you're finally here."

"Pleasure," Jean nodded. "I'm certain Kai or Ria told you that we are not born witches, the Elysium coven took us as infants and turned us."

"That's nothing to worry about. As the Regent, I assure you that you will be treated as equals and not be discriminated against. If you'd like to follow me I will show you to your rooms and you can settle in."

Jean glanced up and saw the shy, adoring stares shared between Kai and Ria. David poked her side and raised a brow, Denny smiled encouragingly. "First we have to say our goodbyes."

"Goodbyes?"

"Kai, Ria, you've done so much for us."

"You saved us from the prison world," David added. "You didn't have to, seeing as how annoying Denny and Jean are, but you did."