chapter fifty-two: in which they are two ghosts

Kol Mikaelson is best described as arrogant and impulsive. He often acts just to spite his family. He had an attitude of vanity and pride that would turn even the most kind-hearted and shy person.

But when he first laid eyes on Ria he was smitten with a desire.

No one paid attention to the doe-eyed beauty that walked in with Elena Gilbert and the Salvatore Brothers, but he did. For she held an aura of mystery and self-awareness that he never saw before.

As every girl twirled their hair and showed insecure smiles and laughs, as they pranced around in their fitted dresses and giggled in an attempt to get his and every other males attention, she glared at the floor and stood motionless.

Her angry and tired stare commented her brown, doe eyes and he felt captivated.

Her posture showed that she was on guard, much like prey, and he was intrigued.

At that moment, Kol Mikaelson realized that she was the most beautiful creature in the room and he had to know her.

As Elijah provided him with the excuse to meet her, Kol wasted not a second longer in approaching her and asking for a dance.

Of course, Stefan Salvatore had whisked her away before he had a chance, but as the swap occurred he manoeuvred his way to the beauty in the silver gown.

When he held her in his arms for the first time that night, that was when a voice in his head whispered that this was it. This was what he had been craving his entire existence. But as he basked in the moment she was overcome by feelings of paranoia and pushed him away.

But everyone who knows Kol Mikaleson knows that he is not one to take 'no' for an answer.

That was when he saw the predator circling his beautiful creature.

That was when he saw her doe-eyes laced in fear.

That was when he felt an unexplainable rage and wasted not a single thought before killing it.

Now, sitting outside under the moonlight, he remembered these feelings and decided it was the best choice he had ever made.

Truly, Cupid comes in the most unlikely of times and brings together the most unlikely of people.

He was a dangerous and immortal original who brought chaos and torment wherever he went. And she was an innocent and fragile human who was trying to survive.

He heard her soft, hesitant steps behind him. A smile danced on his lips as his heart drummed against his chest.

"We're no strangers, love. Come," he whispered.

Ria bit her lip as she sat down, tongue-tied. From the corner of her eyes, she saw him looking up at the sky with that same confused and lost expression that he always did.

She was told by Damon Salvatore that "what you feel for that stud is a combination of bad sushi and angry caterpillars plotting their escape."

But those caterpillars must have turned into butterflies because now they were swarming in her stomach and emitting feelings. Feelings. She was certain they had left her but this wasn't the first time she was wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the last either.

"Before we met, when I was running away from Benedict, I spent every night staring at the moon. Of course, there were nights when it wasn't in the sky and that was when I felt the most alone."

She closed her eyes and tilted her head back and stays silent for a minute.

"It's not what I saw in the stars, rather what is among the stars. It's the moon," she opened her eyes and saw him staring at her. "The moon unveils the beauty of the dark, but it never shows its own dark side."