twenty-three: In Which She's Not She

"The Willow Tree speaks to three, the deaf, the dead, and me."

Elena looked up when she heard her soft voice singing from inside the locked cellar. Her body shuddered, something didn't sound right about her cousin.

She called out her name, maintaining a distance from the door.

Ria's right hand was chained to the wall but she sat in the corner bored, singing to herself. She made no attempt at breaking out.

"Ria," Elena called again.

"The Willow Tree speaks to three, the deaf, the dead and me."

Damon came down the stairs and stood beside her. "What's she saying?"

"I don't know."

The singing stopped.

Her head remained lowered but her gaze moved from the concrete ground up to the door. Through the bars, she saw two faces that she would very much like skinning with a blade.

"To what fortune do I owe the pleasure of Ms. Elena Gilbert visiting me?"

All words left Elena's mouth as the pain of betrayal and hurt coursed through her body. "Ria, what are you talking about?"

"Save your act for the brothers, sweet cousin," she grinned menacingly. "You might be able to fool them but I know you. I know a lot about you."

"Hey, Emmers," Damon called as he peered in. He stopped though, trying not to flinch when her black eyes snapped to him. "Maybe we should call it a day and you can tell us what the hell happened?"

"Oh Hell is a beautiful place, Damon," she breathed out, falling in a daze. "Beautiful indeed. Every evil thought, every painful touch, all the suffering, and hate, it's all there. And you will be there too."

"Okay, I'm officially creeped out."

"Damon, we have to help her," Elena begged. "I just got her back, I'm not making the mistake of abandoning her again."

"Abandonment is for the weak, dearest cousin,"

"Do you hear her?" He glared at the door between them. "It's like she's possessed by Bonnie's great uncle twice removed or something. That little spitfire was trouble from the beginning, Elena."

"That little spitfire is my cousin, Damon. Leave if you want to but she's my responsibility."

"Actually, she's mine."

They turned around and saw Kai strolling down followed by a breathless Stefan.

"Duplicity spell," Stefan explained to the glaring couple.

"Look, I know her better than all three of you. Let me talk to her,"

"Absolutely not," Damon said through clenched teeth. He pushed Kai back, trapping him between him and Stefan. "Remind me why he's still alive after all the stunts he's pulled?"

"Honestly, Damon, I don't think there's a reason."

"I've changed, okay?" Kai waited for them to back off but they all continued glaring. "Look, Ria's a healer of a sort. She used some form of energy to heal me, and I know I can get to her. Please."

"Why?" Elena asked as she pulled Damon away. "Why should we let you near her?"

"Because you want the old Ria back. I know I do."

~~~

"So, you look comfy," he commented, leaning against the metal bars. His tactic was simple but he didn't know how effective it would be. Would Ria remember herself by interaction with an arrogant Kai Parker?

He was wrong.

"Comfy yes, satisfied no. It's like that feeling when you take someone's life but there's another prey running away. Remind you of anyone?"

"Yeah," he blinked, "yeah it does. Myself actually."

"Then free me."

He stepped back at the sudden change in her, if possible she was even more wicked.

Her skin was pale and blue, eyes black as night. Her lips were bleeding and dry, but an evil smirk danced on her lips. She was not the doe-eyed girl he remembered.

"What happened to you, Ria?"

"Free me," she urged again. "Free me. I saved your life, you are in debt to me. Free me and I'll spare you."

"Spare me? Ria, what the hell are you talking-"

She didn't miss a beat. This was a certain change in her, she no longer pondered over her words. Every answer was automatic.

"I'm talking about the End, Kai Parker. I'm talking about the Witch's rape, I'm talking about the impaling of angels, the sawing of werewolves and pups, the mutilation of vampires, the-"

"Stop,"

He didn't care that Damon had threatened to kill him if he unlocked the door. He threw the lock on the ground and ran in, falling to his knees in front of her. He held her face in his hands.

She was frigid.

"Ria," he breathed heavily, breathlessly. "I'm going to fix you,"

"Kai, I'm going to kill you."

"You won't," he shook his head.

"I will," she assured, "I don't need love or comfort anymore. I am liberated. I know what needs to be done"

He tried again, "I'm not giving up on you."

"I know what needs to be done. I need to kill everything Supernatural,"

"You promised me something," he whispered as his lips brushed against hers. "You promised me something, and I need to hear you say it."

Ria stared at the Witch before her with a blank stare. There was no attraction or emotion.

The only sound that could be heard was their heavy breathing. They stared into each other's eyes; his frantically searching for life in her darkened pupils but she only saw her reflection in his.

Then, he kissed her.

Her lips were cold. Unresponsive, but he didn't pull away. He kissed her lips again, softly, begging in his heart that she would respond.

She didn't.

"Please," he begged, kissing her once more. Her eyes were open the entire time.

He dropped his hands from her face and felt completely and entirely useless for the third time in his life. He stood and turned to leave, unable to cope with this rejection.

"I don't know what promise I made," she called after him. "But I do promise you this. Kai Parker, I will kill you."