nineteen: In Which They Meet the Psycho

Nothing was different about the day, but everyone held an uneasy feeling in their stomachs.

"You're wandering around like a crazy man," Damon provoked. Bonnie tried her best to ignore him and instead focused on the newspaper. "Why?"

"I'm looking for the exact right spot. We need to find where the power of the eclipse is focused."

"You could've shown us the ascendant in the beginning."

Kai turned back, sparing Ria a second of his attention before winking at Bonnie. "But I wanted to feel your hand on my chest."

"Something is not right about him," she glared at his back.

Damon rolled his eyes, "You're not used to guys hitting on you."

"I can't wait to get out of here and talk to somebody else."

"Can we just have a few seconds of peace while this idiot uses that thing to get the stars to align?"

Ria remained silent as they bickered back and forth. She didn't have much to say to her cousin's boyfriend and best friend, and Kai had made it obvious that she was nothing to him anymore.

The last day that they had spent together before the Trinity had taken her, that day was supposed to be Kai's final day with Ria, the perfect day.

For her it was a perfect day; they made fruit drinks and joked as they hit on each other at the bar. They watched a movie and snacked on junk food, and not to mention she shared a side of herself with him that no one else had seen before.

She hated that he didn't believe her, that he was indifferent to erasing everything they had.

"Family massacred in Portland."

Ria froze in her tracks when Bonnie drew their attention to an article. "The only one missing was the oldest boy. A 20-year-old named Malachi."

"Who names a kid Malachai? It's like they expected me to be evil." He turned around and wore a proud and cheeky smile on his face.

"These kids were murdered."

"Hello? Not everyone died. I had a soft spot for one of my sisters. Otherwise, I would've cut her lungs out, not just her spleen."

"What?" Bonnie and Damon blinked.

"You can survive without a spleen." He rolled his eyes and began his explanation of the human anatomy.

"Something tells me you're not speaking hypothetically."

"Look, these two I hung off the stairwell railing. Then I put a hunting knife in her abdomen. And him, I drowned in the pool. But he kept fighting me. And I was like, I saved you for last you ungrateful little... Anyway, that was that."

Bonnie's stare hardened. "You killed your whole family?"

"Coven to be precise."

"Wait, you're a witch?"

"Of a sort. The Gemini coven did not take it too well when they heard what I did in Portland. That's why they banished me here."

"This place is a prison. They made it for you."

Kai confirmed their suspicions. "Yup, this isn't your hell Damon. It's mine."

~~~

Bonnie dragged Ria back to the house and purposefully ignored Damon's pleas. Ria didn't put up a fight, she knew what type of people her cousin surrounded herself with. The selfish vampire and stubborn witch wouldn't change their opinions.