Chapter 23

We sit down at a booth and no one makes a sound. We haven't talked since we've left the hospital. "Hi, my name is Katie. Can I start you guys off with drinks?" We both slowly look up from our menus and at her. "Pepsi" Derek looks back down at his menu. "Is Coke ok?" He looks but at her with an evil eye. "Did I ask for Coke?" "No......" "Than what makes you think Coke will be ok?" "Um, ah, um" I could tell she didn't know what to say. "Just make it two Root beers with Grenadine." I say before Derek kills her with his evil eye. "Oh, ok, thanks." She walks away.

"I wanted Pepsi!" Derek looks at me before he looks at the menu. "Well, excuse me if they didn't have Pepsi and you wouldn't take the next best thing!" "I'm not in the mood Maddie...." I let out a little fake laugh "and you think I'm in the mood! One of my friends is about to die and the person I want to talk to so I don't feel so bad won't talk to me! I want to talk this through with someone and at the moment your the only someone I have!" I pick up my menu and hold it in front of my face so he can't see it. "People deal with death in different ways you know! I'm the kind who doesn't want to talk about it, the kind who just wants to think it through in their head!" "Ya, and I respect that! It would be nice if someone respected my wishes!" It goes silent at our table and everyone in the restaurant is now looking at us. "You know what forget it......" Tears start rolling out of my eyes so I use the menu to block my face again.

"I hate to interrupt" Katie puts our drinks on the table. "But are you guys ready to order?" "Yeah" Derek says putting down his menu. "Can I please have a little more time?" I ask without move the menu from my face. "Sure" she says "I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Look," Derek said as he pulls down my menu and hands me a napkin to wipe my eyes. "I'm sorry. You're right. You are there for me. You don't push my envelope. You know I don't like to talk about things so you don't. But you're right I need to start being there for you. If you like to talk things through I'm all ears." "Thank you Derek. You're the best!" I wipe my eyes with the napkin then give him a hug over the table. "Are you guys ready now?" She comes back with a smile on her face.