Sophia

Sophia.

(month and a half ago)

Oh my.

I stared in disbelief down at the tiny stick in my hands, firmly believing that my eyes were playing tricks on me.

I’m pregnant.

I mean, sure Li and I had been having unprotected sex, but I thought my birth control was still firmly in place… so this shouldn’t have been an issue that we needed to worry about. With him and the other guys gearing up to begin practice for their next tour, any time spent together was in the bedroom or out shopping.

I’m pregnant.

I slowly sank to the ground as the test dropped from my hands onto the cold tile of the bathroom in my apartment, gathering my knees in my arms and pulling them to my chest. It’s not that I’m not happy, it’s the timing of it all. I’m going back to school to finish up my junior year of college and Li is across the pond song writing in LA, I probably won’t see him for another three weeks. He’s really good at writing and once he gets started, he disappears into his creative hub and it’s hard to reach him.

My hands somehow find their way to my stomach as I feel around, looking for what? I’m not sure but yet here I am feeling for any changes in my body. I stand up and inspect myself in the full-length mirror on the door. Outwardly, nothing looks any different, but my brain tells me that I have a slight glow. Is this the pregnancy glow that everyone is always talking about? I crack a small smile at my reflection in the mirror. I would be the one to start looking for a pregnancy glow moments after finding out that I’m pregnant.

I’m going to be a mother.

Rushing out of the bathroom, I grab my cellphone off of the bed and quickly scroll to Liam’s contact info. Hitting send, I pace the room as I wait for Liam to pick up.

“Hello?”

Liam! I’m so happy you pic-

“Sorry, you’ve reached my voicemail, please leave a message & I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.”

Sighing, I hang up and toss the phone back on the bed in frustration. This is not the kind of thing you text. Hopefully he surfaces soon and calls me back. Almost as if on cue, everything I had for breakfast seems to be making a return visit, prompting me to sprint to the bathroom just in the nick of time, as all the contents in my stomach and then some hit the water in the toilet. Leaning back, I gasp for clean air before scooting backwards to rest against the wall.

Everything makes sense now. The fatigue, the weird temper flares, even the sensitivity to smells that never bothered me before. Guess I’m going to be one of those pregnant women with the epic morning sickness if this is anything to go by. Pulling myself up to the sink, I rinse my mouth and head to the kitchen for salted crackers and ginger ale to settle my stomach. After grabbing those key things, I stroll back into my room and settle into bed as I scan the tv guide for something to watch.

“What to expect when you’re expecting.”  The irony.