Shatter

Unknown.

Pulling up to a building that I never thought I'd see again, I shut the engine and turn off the headlights. Looking over at the passenger seat, I nod at my partner, both our faces set in a line.

No doubt preparing for whatever we're about to face.

Pulling out my gun, I quickly check that its fully loaded before screwing on my silencer before tucking the weapon in the back of my jeans. Exiting out of the car, my partner and I begin the silent trek to the abandoned wing of the hospital.

Old habits die hard.

Not even halfway to the hospital, the quiet is broken by a bone chilling scream. My feet take on a mind of their own, propelling me forward towards the sound, my boots lightly hitting the ground under my feet, followed by the heavier thuds of my partner. Skidding to a stop at the treeline, the moon seems to shine brightly on the scene before me.

Aubri is laying on the ground, one leg bent at an odd angle and hands firmly crossed over her stomach. The stillness of her body alarms me as my eyes scan the area for any clue as to what happened, or rather, who did this to her.

My eyes quickly locate the open window and a blanket swaying at an odd angle. It doesn't look like she fell.

My partner motions to me that they're going to approach the building to scope it out and I nod. Realizing that the moments are passing as are Aubri's chances of surviving- I quickly run to her and almost let out an audible sigh of relief that she's still breathing, chest rising and falling evenly.

Renewed sense of urgency kicking in, I quickly check all her pressure points for injuries and I'm glad that she reacts to all of them besides her leg that's obviously broken. On seeing a piece on the bone jutting from her skin, I gently apologize to her before righting her leg and tying it with the bandana that was previously holding the hair out of my eyes. Her eyes snap open and widen as she fusses, hands flying to her stomach before she tries, unsuccessfully to pull away from me but the pain slams her back down.

Her chest rises and falls quicker as she quickly rasps out what the situation is and I nod.

I figured as much.

Carefully and as quickly as I can, I explain my plan to her and she nods, biting her lip in the pain from her leg and worry for her baby clearly written over her face. I hoist her up and help her get to a place where its easier for me to help her help me end this.

Because it is time to end this.

My partner rejoins me and Aubri's eyes widen as he presses a finger to his lips. He joins me and whispers why we haven't seen the cause of the problem.

Heels. Always the drama.

Finally she emerges, a glass of an unidentified liquid in it, and stepping carefully so as not to trip in her sky high stilettos.

Who the hell wears heels to an attempted murder/ baby snatch?

Sophia does.

She spots Aubri in her slightly shifted position and her eyes narrow. "I was trying to save you from the pain of me getting my child," Sophia begins and I stick an arm out to keep my partner from charging her.

Aubri is sitting up and scooting backwards, tears falling down her face at the pain of dragging her broken leg and I wince for her. I have to end this before she does too much and really messes up her leg and its recovery/mobility for the future.

Sophia takes a swig of whatever is in her glass and pulls out a knife, movements suddenly very swift and I quickly pull out my gun and fire a warning shot through her glass. It shatters, covering Aubri's legs in broken shards of glass and liquid and Sophia's head whips in my direction.

She can't see me as the night has grown relatively dark and the tree cover providing extra shade. Her intent for Aubri momentarily put to the side as she starts yelling at the trees.

Its now or never.

Stepping out of the tree cover with my gun drawn, I motion for Chris to get Aubri and get out of there. He runs along the tree line to where Aubri is as Sophia stares at me, skin getting paler and paler as realization sets in.

"Liv?" She squeaks, her voice cracking as she's fumbling for words. "Liv- I, I. Theo- I didn't. Liv. Why? She's not family. I'm family. Dave, did you kill-"

Her questions die on her lips as the first bullet lodges itself in the center of her head and the second quickly following striking her in the chest. She crumples into a heap on the floor and I cautiously advance forward to make sure that my sister is truly dead. Kicking the knife away from her, I lean down to check her pulse and on detecting none, I grab the knife and hightail it back to the car, where Chris has Aubri to call the police for once, to do cleanup.

-

It's an odd feeling to know that you've killed your sister.

It's even more odd for your baby sister and husband to think you don't know that they were creeping behind your back.

It's odd when your husband's younger brother is a complete and total douche and while you applaud your sister for finally getting rid of him... you still have to go behind and fix every rookie mistake she made in cleanup.

It's odd because despite how bad she was, I still wanted to protect her.

My baby sister.

-

Finally reaching the car, Chris slides into the drivers seat and pulls off, police sirens blaring in the distance as we rush to a hospital. Pulling up to the ER entrance, Chris scoops Aubri up and runs into the ER and I drive to our apartment to bathe and change.

I have to play the distraught sister one last time.

Finally, the facade can shatter.

Turning the key in the lock, I quickly strip off everything I'm wearing and stuff them into a heavy duty garbage bag, before walking into the bathroom. Turning the shower on, I let the hot water beat down on my skin from the showerhead as I use soap to scrub away all of it.

All the feellings of guilt andd dirt and an intense feeling of failure. I failed my sister.

Stepping out, I stroll into my shared room and make a beeline for his closet. Pulling out a flannel and a pair of skinny jeans, I pull my hair into a bun and apply light makeup before throwing on a pair of ankle boots and cleaning all of our weapons that Chris had the right mind to leave on the backseat before going into the hospital. After securing the last weapon, a knock at the door alerts me to someone else being there.

Peering through the peephole, I open the door.

"Hello officers, how can I help you?" I ask in the best worried voice I can muster.

"Ma'am, we're sorry to be the bearers of bad news. Your sister is dead."

Pressing a hand to my mouth, my eyes water as I shed real tears for the trainwreck my younger sibling was.

"I'm afraid it gets worse," the officer continues and I wait.

"She kidnapped and attempted to murder a woman. Her ex boyfriend's pregnant wife."

Falling back against the wall and letting the door open wider, I sink to the floor crying as the officers try to console me.

"Can I- Can I see her?" i ask tearfully and they nod, before grabbing a coat for me and helping me into their vehicle.

Driving to the hospital, I spot Chris, who has managed to clean up, nod and I walk into the morgue to identify my sister and fill out necessary paperwork.

Leaving there, I walk into the waiting room and the first person I catch eyes with is Liam.

"Liv, why are you here?" He rages. "It isn't bad enough that your sister did this to my wife?!" Zayn and Niall are glaring at me as they try to pull him back from me. I expected this, I told Chris not to tell them.

"Liam, can I speak to you for a moment please?" He opens his mouth to protest and I cut him off, "you"ll want to hear this."