F I V E

My room is the room next to Monica's. My door isn't closed. But I'm sure I closed it before I went downstairs in the morning for breakfast. I have a fear against spiders and I saw one yesterday. So I close the door every time I get out so that when I'm sleeping, a creepy eight legged friend doesn't crawl in my mouth.
But it was probably Monica who entered my room. She does that a lot.

"Don't ever go in my room again Mon. I've already warned you a thousand times." I say. But she doesn't answer. She doesn't look at me. She even stops walking.
"What's wrong Monica? Come on, let's go." But she just stares at the darkness over at the end of the hallway where mom's room is. I feel cold. My bare feet are like ice. Then I see the open window. And then I see the shoe marks on my white carpet. They walk around in my room and fade while going out of the room. I feel chills running down my spine. Someone must've broken in! That's who I heard in the kitchen then! But...wait.  He was the one who was breathing heavily on the stairs.  But, I thought it was Monica because it sounded so close!

Then I see what Monica is looking at. Ruby is sitting right at the edge of the staircase. But she isn't smiling her huge smile. She looks mad now.
"M-Monica? Y-you put her there..right?" I say looking at the white painted face of the doll.
I hear a noise. I look at Monica. She looks back at me. It sounds like a tap. And again. Again. Again. I decide it must be coming from the window in my room. The wind, probably.

But wait...the window was open a few seconds ago. I go and look out of the window to see if anyone was there. No one. I turn around to see Monica standing at the door frame holding Ruby.
"She came to me"she whispers and looks down at the doll who is smiling now.
"But Monica how is tha"I start saying but she interrupts me.
"When you see me, you also see you"
"We don't have time for riddles Mon." I say crossing my arms. But she just stares at me. I sigh. "Alright Monica. What did you say? When you see me, you also see you?" I think for a second. "A mirror." She nods.
I look at the mirror that's right in front of my bed. I walk towards it. "That's true, right? The answer is mirror." I turn to face the black framed mirror. I try so hard not to scream.