E I G H T

The camera looks new. I hold it close to my face trying to figure out what to do with it. I turn it on and it works!
I push the Menu button without hesitation. A video pops up. I hit play.

In the video, there's me. At the park. I'm swinging on the swing, giggling, smiling. I put the camera on my lap and go through my hair with both hands. I remember that day. What a fun day it was. A warm spring day with mom and Monica. But...who's that?
A man is walking closer to me. Quickly, but not rushing. That's not what I remember... It was only me, Monica and mom that day. There's no way that man was there! He gets closer each second. I've stopped swinging by now. I'm looking at the man. My smile fading, I say something. Actually, whisper. I don't know what I say but the man puts his hands on my face and....the video ends.

I freeze, just looking at the camera. Something is wrong. So, so wrong.

There's silence in the house. Not a crack is heard. This is the night I understand why people fear silence... I walk out of the room, leaving the camera on the night stand. I look back at mom for the last time and close the door.
I go downstairs quickly, and I keep looking behind me. I feel like something...someone is watching. Watching me.

As I reach the living room, I hear footsteps. But I've seen enough to know that those might not belong to Monica.