N I N T E E N

"Oh, mah God!" I say,my eyes widened. "This is...this is amazing!" But seriously, like, when you expect something to be bad and it turns out to be good, that moment of relief! The soup isn't the best but that feeling of relief when I knew I didn't have to pretend to like it was VERY comforting. And I don't think there was any poison or something in it. It tastes just fine.

"How is it?" Flora asks, smiling nervously.
"I love it!" I say. I look at Rick who's drinking the whole thing quickly. "Do you like it Rick?" I ask. He stops eating like a wild animal and looks at me.
"Come on! Answer her Rick!" Flora says, obviously mad. "Answer!"
"I...ummm...I like it, too." He finally manages to say. I wonder if he's okay though. He looks nervous and scared.
"Are you okay, Rick?" I ask him. I'm a bit worried.

I think of the things Flora might have done to this kid. What if he's in trouble?! Flora must be very rude to him! Oh no! Is that why he wanted to come with me while I was trying to get away from the house?!

"I'm good...thank you for asking."he politely says, then he looks at Flora who has an approving look on her face.

"Rick. You're excused. Please go to bed now, honey."she says, getting up and taking the bowls to the sink to wash them.
Rick gets up from his chair which creaks as he does so, and walks towards the door to the hallway. He turns to me, when he's half way there, and gives me a pitying look. He whispers some words that make me shake.

"Be careful Monica..." and just like that he disappears into the house.