S I X T Y N I N E

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be relieving but I feel better. I believe this guy. I believe it that he's Owen Abbot, I believe that he's my father and I also believe that he didn't kill my sister. And I feel like he really needs help. My help.

This guy who is downstairs, calling himself Owen and acting like it although he doesn't seem to know a lot about the real Owen, is nuts. And I am help hostage here in this room. In this room where there's a window. And the window can open.

I get up and run to the window. With one click it opens. "This mad guy really didn't plan anything. He just does things out of nowhere. And that's what makes him scary." I think.

I look down and see that if I do jump, I'll live. I won't hurt myself. This is absolutely the wrong house to keep someone hostage. Especially if that someone is a kid who can move quickly.

I slowly get on the edge of the window and put one leg down. Just as I'm about to put my other leg down, he shouts. "Dinners ready!!!"
I quickly push myself out the room and fall on my hands and knees. Although they hurt a bit, I'm okay. I can hear Owen's footsteps and his sharp voice saying my name.
I run to the town center. It's a matter of time until he sees that I'm gone.

I turn my head while I run and see him staring angrily at me from the window.

I run faster.

I reach the library. I catch the woman Gloria or something right outside the door, ready to lock the door and call it a day. I can still smell her vanilla perfume. It's just so heavy.

"Hey Gloria!" I say, impatiently.

She stares blankly for a few seconds and then her mouth forms a grin. A very creepy one. Her eyes don't shine anymore and her lips obviously don't mean well.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask.

She nods, her smile fading.

"Where did you get that book you gave me?" And then I realize, I forgot the book back at that house.

"Shh...lower your voice and act like you're looking for a normal book." She looks around suspiciously. "They're watching."
I manage to make an approving screech and follow her back into the library. "We'll be safer here." She locks the door.

Just then we hear a loud bang on the door and another. Then there's screaming and screeches and thuds.

"What is that?!" I say hearing my own heartbeat.

"That's one of the citizens. Remember, never stay the night. Maybe the guy you were going to stay with? He probably is just looking for you." She shrugs.

"I thought you said we would be safe!!" I shout.

"No. I said we would be safer."