T H I R T Y E I G H T

"Death, too must be earned..."

"Rick, okay..." I gulp. "I don't even think you exist. I just think I might be insane! I...I don't believe you."

He chuckles silently. "Even if you don't, I'm still going to keep on existing. And it's your choice if you want my help or not. But it's not your choice that you need it. You and I both know you need my help." He smiles intensely.

"You know what? Alright. I believe you. I'm gonna do as you say, as long as it's...not ridiculous. So...guide the way!"

He jumps off the tree and starts walking. "Good decision. We wouldn't want you dead, too, right?" He giggles.
"N-no..."I manage to say.

We walk. And walk and walk.
"When do we stop?! My feet are killing me! And my stomach started to make sounds like a t-Rex!"

"We stop now. It's almost night. And we're close."

"Close to where? To the end of the forest?" I smile. I'm getting out of this place!

"Umm...no."

"Then where?"

"The water."

"Yes."

I see a lake. Big. Beautiful. It's calling me.
"Wow!" I say.
"I know." He smiles.

"Great!" I exclaim, not taking my eyes off of the lake.

"You go find a place to sleep. I'll find some...food. Yes...food."

I nod. Walking to the water. It really is calling out to me.

Wait...there's giggling too! Oh it must be a very happy place.
I walk into the water until it reaches up to my knees.
Then I hear a voice. A very soft one. It's the lake.

"Splash in my waters all you like, but stay out of the deep where sunlight does not reach."

"W-what?" I whisper.

"This was a world where the vilest creatures roost. This was a world, where the snow fell black."