Chapter 4: Awoken

January 18, 1957

Jackie awoke on an uncomfortable surface. Her cheek felt numb and she felt lightheaded, all she saw was white.

She sat up from her spot on the hospital bed and saw color.

She looked around and felt worry rise up in her, why was she here?

Then all in a flash she remembered.

Her eyes widened and she leaped from the bed, she stumbled and hurried out of the room, she had to find Jack, or at least her daughter's.

Not paying attention Jackie collided with something, well somebody. It was a nurse.

"Mrs. Kennedy!" the nurse cried.

"Why are you out of your room?"

"Why am I not with my family?" Jackie countered.

"I..." the nurse shook her head,"Do you know what happened?"

"Of course I know, why would I be looking for my family if I didn't? So tell me where the hell they are!" Jackie was starting to shout.

"Mrs. Kennedy! You obviously do not know your condition!"

"Ya I have stitches in my cheek that shouldn't stop me-"

"No Mrs. Kennedy." the nurse said.

"What?" Jackie asked, she saw something in the nurse's eyes.

"With what was going on the stress, the bashing around the worry and the fear... Mrs. Kennedy did you know your pregnant?"

"Well of course..." Jackie trailed off.

The baby.

Her eyes widened,"What's wrong with the baby?" she asked quietly.

"Is it...?"

The nurse shook her head,"No Mrs. Kennedy, but there can be serious reprucussion's especially this early in the pregnacy, something is wrong with the baby, the doctor's are trying to find out how to fix it."

"What's wrong with the baby?" Jackie asked, panic sinking in.

"I'm not allowed to tell you." the nurse said.

"Where's the rest of my family?" Jackie whispered.

The nurse started to guide her back to her room but Jackie wasn't going to fight her, there was a little baby inside her to protect.

"Your husband is still unconscious-"
"He's alive?" Jackie asked,"The Addison's attack didn't-"

"He's alive Mrs. Kennedy." the nurse said,"Now please don't stress yourself, you have a little one in there."

Jackie wordlessly nodded,"And my daughter's?"

"Your sister-in-law Jean has been taking care of them." the nurse said.

"Now Mrs. Kennedy please get some sleep."

Jackie noticed she was mysteriously back in her room and on her bed.

She suddenly felt very sleepy.

"Ok."

And almost as soon as the word slipped from her mouth her eyes closed and sleep overtook her.