Chapter 44: Happy Fourth

A/N: I'm SOOOO sorry I haven't updated. I haven't had the time, I'm still adjusting to being back at school and updates will be fewer as I'll be busy :( again super sorry, so here's an extra large chapter for my absence. Please don't hurt me!

July 4, 1957

It was the fourth of July and Jack, Jackie, Bella and Kick were spending it in Maine.

Jackie had woken bright and early and had ordered 15 pancakes from room service, they came with a toothpick american flag in the middle with syrup and strawberries drizzled on it.

She grinned as she set it down on the small table in the hotel room, Jack, she was sure wouldn't stay asleep long after smelling one of his favorite breakfasts.

She touched her stomach, a bump was beginning to form.

A small smile spread across her lips, she looked over to Kick and Bella's shared crib, she frowned. She was going to have to start potty-training Bella... that would be an experience.

She moved away from the pancakes to simply observe her children sleeping.

A small smile spread on her face, Bella's hair seemed to be getting lighter and lighter, at first it hand been a sandy-brown color when she was born, and now it was almost platinum. She shook her head.

Bella was curled up in a tiny ball, hugging her bear to her chest as she slept peacefully, her hair now almost to her shoulders.

Jackie gently put a strand of hair behind her oldest daughter's ear before turning her attention to Kick.

Kick was a chubby baby, even more chubby than normal, her hair was like Jackie's own, a dark, almost black color and despite being younger than Bella, Kick's hair was already as long as the blonde haired girl's. It was obviously apparent that Kick's hair would be an issue, it was thick and easily snarled. Jackie shook her head fondly at her younger child.

She heard a groan from her right and saw her husband begin to rouse from under the covers. Time to start the day.

Breakfast a short but sweet ordeal, Jack, after getting rid of his grumpy mood that he always had after waking up, had taken care of Kick and Bella for her, insisting that she take a break as they took a walk along the streets.

They were on their way to a famous ice cream parlour called ZACK'S ICE CREAM. It didn't sound grand, but Jack insisted they go there.

"It's ten in the morning Jack." she had pointed out.

He had flashed that Kennedy grin at her and said,"As good time as any!"

Jackie had rolled her eyes as they exited the hotel room.

At the parlour Jack had insisted that Bella and Kick should be "Revealed to the best thing in the world."

"I thought you said that was politics." Jackie had said with a grin.

Jack's eyebrows raised,"You're a more feisty than usual Kid." he said in amusement.

Jackie's cheeks turned red.

He smiled at her,"I mean it in a good way."

"I know." she said.

"So what do you want to do for the 4th?" Jack asked.

"Apart from getting ice cream at 10 in the morning?" she asked, taking a lick of her strawberry cone to prove her point.

"Very feisty." Jack said shaking his head with a smile.

"Well." Jackie said thoughtfully,"In all seriousness I don't really think we should see a fireworks show, imagine how Bella and Kick would react."

Jack frowned and opened his mouth as if to say something but Jackie cut him off.

"I know what you're about to say and no we are NOT leaving our daughters in the hotel, nanny or no nanny on a HOLIDAY. A holiday is something to spend with family. Understood?"

Jack looked flabbergasted at his wife's speech and wordlessly nodded.

"Dinner?" he asked.

Jackie smiled,"That sounds good, but please... no burger joints."

The family of four spent the rest of the day just enjoying each other's company as they wandered around Maine. Jack decided to paint Kick's face red, white and blue when Jackie was in the bathroom.

Somehow in that short time he'd also bought a hat similar to Uncle Sam's and placed it on Bella's head.

She shook her head. They stood out enough as being Senator and wife. Then again she'd accepted standing out as soon as she set eyes of John F. Kennedy.

That night Jack, Jackie, Bella and Kick watched from their hotel window, covered by curtains they'd drawn back, that took over a whole side of the room.

And they watched as hundreds of fireworks of all different colors exploded in the sky. Kick watched with wide eyed excitment and Bella with a fascinated glint as she gazed at the exploding colors in awe.

And that was how they fell asleep.

Holding each other close and not letting go, peaceful looks upon their faces.

"Happy fourth." Jack whispered into Jackie's ear.

"Happy fourth." she whispered back.