Five

Chapter Five

Selcouth
(adj.) strange, unusual, wondrous

"Why am I such a failure?" Yoongi asked as he took the burnt chicken out of the oven and set it on the stove, waving it frantically with a towel so it wouldn't set off the smoke alarm.

"I been askink that, ever sinth I met chu." Hoseok mumbled around the spoonful of rice. He sat at the kitchen counter, eating half of the dinner that Yoongi had succeeded at preparing.

"It was a rhetorical question." Yoongi grumbled as he eyed the overcooked chicken with disgust.

"You see," Hoseok said. "This is why you need a lady who can cook."

"What if I'm not interested in ladies?" Yoongi joked.

"Then get you a man who can cook."

"Ok, marry me Hoseok."

"Ew no, you're already bad at being my best friend, no way in hell am I becoming your husband."

Yoongi chuckled and went to get two plates down from the cabinet.

"I'm guessing you'll be ok with burnt chicken." He said as he divided it up.

"I've eaten worse." Hoseok said, munching on soba.

"I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not." Yoongi sighed.

They ate dinner slowly, enjoying each other's presence. Tonight was the last night Hoseok would be in town before he went away for yet another business trip. This time he was headed to the Netherlands and Yoongi couldn't be more jealous.

"Do you want me to help you unpack boxes?" Hoseok asked with a brief glance around the apartment. "You've still got tons of boxes. We can have a competition to see who can unpack the most or something, if that would motivate you more."

"They're all full of recording equipment." Yoongi replied tartly. "I'll manage on my own."

"I swear Yoongi, you're not fun at all."

"Sorry I just had a weird day."

"Do tell."

So Yoongi told Hoseok about the rude cashier and the short, quiet boy he had met.

"I don't even know his name." Yoongi concluded.

"How old is he?" Hoseok asked.

"I dunno. He looks younger than me."

"So he's a minor then."

"What are you getting at?" Yoongi asked, annoyed.

Hoseok grinned and got up, folding his napkin and setting it neatly on the table.

"Thank you for dinner my dear old friend, but I'm afraid I have to get going now if I want a good night's sleep." And just like that, he had left Yoongi's apartment.

"He didn't even offer to wash the damn dishes!" Yoongi snapped at the closed door. "And he says I'm the bad best friend."