Eight

Chapter Eight

cathect
(v.) to invest emotion or feeling
in a particular idea, object, or
person

Jungkook slammed his lunch tray down on the table and sat down, nearly giving everyone seated a heart attack.

"So what you're saying is, you couldn't hang out Saturday morning because you were getting coffee with that park pedo?!" He asked, giving Jimin an appalled look.

Underneath the table, Jimin balled his fist and resisted the urge to slap Jungkook into another dimension.

"What's this I hear about a park pedo?" Yugyeom, one of Jungkook's friends who was sitting next to Tae, piped up, giving Jimin a curious glance.

"A park pedo?" Mingyu, another one of Jungkook's friends, had come to sit next to Yugyeom and gave Jimin a strange look. "Is that what you downgraded to?"

Tae reached over and lightly punched his shoulder. Jimin sighed.

"Everyone shut up." He said rubbing his temples. "Yoongi is just a...n acquaintance of mine."

"Right." Jungkook gave him a hostile look.

Jimin nibbled on a cornlette and averted his gaze. Why was everyone acting as if this was illegal? All he had done was get coffee with Yoongi for no more than 30 minutes. Big deal!

Taehyung put a hand on his shoulder. "We don't mean to be rude." He said softly. "We're just a bit confused."

"Jungkook isn't." Jimin mumbled, shrugging Taehyung's hand off. "He thinks he's got it all figured out."

"Just ignore him." Taehyung said with a smile. "I'm happy for you. Yoongi seemed like a nice guy."

"He isn't." Jimin sighed. "Well, I mean he is, but things I do make him angry. I don't understand."

"Is your curiosity enough to keep you going?" Tae asked gently.

Jimin looked at him. "Nothing's enough to keep me going. He's probably just someone who was sent here to delay my own self-proclaimed fate."

"That's deep." Tae said with a slight frown.

That evening, Jimin returned home and immediately locked himself in his room. He went to his bedside table and pulled out the items he had bought last week. The lighter and the blank card with the envelope. He gave them a hard stare.

Originally the letter was going to be to written for Daehyun, thanking him for all the happy memories they had shared. But now, looking at the blank card. He decided he would write it to Yoongi.

He grabbed a pen and sat down to write.

Thank you for trying. — PJM

Was all he wrote.

"What a waste. I'm so lame." He groaned, tossing the pen and the card onto the floor and crashing onto his bed.

"Ok." He glared at the ceiling. "I admit. I want to see him again. Why? I have no idea. I'm not supposed to feel like this."