Chapter 54- Birthday Presents

Lily POV

The prom is set for May 2nd. Days fly by so quickly all the memories blur together, and before I know it, I'm bursting James's door open with a birthday gift in my hand. I flop myself on top of him and he stirs slightly. "Happy birthday." I whisper, and I feel his heart start beating quickly. He rolls over and flips around, so my back is on the bed. I laugh and smile, kissing his cheek lightly. "I wanted to be the first to tell you happy birthday." He grins. "You succeeded." I kiss his nose. "Good." 

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRONGSYYYYYYYYYYYY!" Sirius yells, and all the Marauders burst inside his room. Peter shrieks loudly when he sees us tangled up in the sheets and slaps a hand over his eyes. He holds a hand out and starts blindly walking around the room, tripping over clothes and trying to find the door. "Peter." I say. He keeps walking in a circle, eventually falling in a circle. "PETER!" I yell. He stops and hesitantly peeks threw his fingers. "You can look, Peter." He removes his hands and sighs loudly. Remus laughs and ruffles James's hair. "Happy birthday, mate." James thanks him and slowly gets out of bed. I jump up and straighten out my uniform. 

"I'll meet you guys down at breakfast, alright?" They all nod, and I bound out the door and down the stairs. I run into the Great Hall and grab a banana, sliding into the seat next to Bella. She swallows a bit of her pancakes and turns to me. "How's the birthday boy doing?" "Good," I said, chewing on a bite of my food. "They should be down in a minute." Alice groans. "Remind me again why we couldn't have this huge extravagant party?" Mary glares at her. "Do I need to remind you of the Birthday Debacle that we call Sirius's birthday?" I nod. "Yeah, the boys got so drunk they started spilling their secrets to everyone. Including their engagement plans." 

I blush slightly. Mary and Alice lean a little closer from their side of the table. "Engagement?" They both squeak. I nod, blushing even more profusely. Mary holds up a hand, closing her eyes. "Wait, I knew about Sirius's confession, but JAMES?" I roll my eyes. "Mary, that was a while ago. If he's gonna propose, he would have done it back then. I bet he hasn't even bought a ring at all. I'm not even gonna say yet, because even the thought of it being in the prospects is scary." 

James POV

"So, we still skipping for RINGGGGG SHOPPING?" Sirius drawls, flicking through magazines while perched on my desk. I blush on cue and glance at the door subconsciously. "Be quiet, Lily could be downstairs." He scoffs and hops down. "Calm down, Remus and Peter are keeping the girls occupied. It's all gonna go smoothly." I start pacing while probably waring a hole in the room in the process. "Prongs." He says, staring at me. "Oh my god, what am I doing? She hates me. She still hates me, this is all some sick joke to get revenge on me from when I kept being an annoying prat. How come I never saw it? I'll be the laughingstock of-" "James!" Sirius says sharply, walking over to me. 

"Relax. Lily loves you very much. She's gonna say yes, and you guys are going to have nice little messy red-haired, visually impaired and green eyed children. She is going to love whatever ring you pick out because Lily loves anything you give her." I exhale loudly. "I'm being an overdramatic prat, aren't it?" He smirks, grabbing his leather jacket. "Hit it right on the nail, mate. I'll wait downstairs." I watch as his back disappears down the stairs and flop back onto the bed. 

"I'm completely whipped." I whisper, running a hand through my hair. I drag myself downstairs and Sirius lugs me along to the one-eyed witch passageway. 

"Dissendium." 

We climb all the way to Hogsmeade and the bell on the door handle jingles as we walk into the jewelry store. "Hello, gentlemen." We turn around and see a sort-of-short, sort-of-not girl standing in front of us. She has glasses and her thick long brown hair is tied back into a ponytail. "I think I know what you're looking for." She walks over to us and sticks out a hand. "I'm Emma." We shake her hand, still staring at her. She walks behind the counter and starts digging around. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" I whisper to Sirius out of the corner of my mouth. He nods, eyes not leaving the girl. "The portrait." "It's like she just stepped out of it." I whisper. "Identical." He says, tilting his head. She turns round and sees us staring at her sideways like some kind of monkeys.