nineteen - carnival fun

"allie, allie, allie" i grow annoyed with ava who's constantly knocking on my door. i was trying to get ready for my date with ethan but she was irritating me, right outside my door.

"ava i'm busy!" i shout, rummaging through my clothes to try and find a cute outfit.

"i want to watch you get ready for your date." she whines, "please!"

i sigh, i remember when i was her age and i wanted to watch my mom apply on her makeup, i groan and open my door, allowing my seven year old sister to come crashing in.

"you can watch me but don't annoy me." i tell her, shutting my door again. she jumps on my bed and lays on her stomach, watching my every move as i walk back to my vanity.

"what's his name?" ava asks me.

"ethan." i tell her, blending in my foundation.

"is he nice?" she asks me, again.

"yes." i answer.

"do you really like him?" she's harassing me with questions that i'm giving simple answers to, but this question makes me think. i look back at my little sister who looks up to me,
i'm basically her role model and she's vulnerable to what the world has to offer her. i smile at her innocent face.

"yes, i really like him." i tell her.

"does he really like you?" she asks, giggling.

i shrug, "i'm not sure, ava."

"will it hurt your feelings if he doesn't?" she asks, curiously.

"it will." i tell her, "and it always will. but us girls are strong enough to handle it."

"i really like toby." she tells me. "but i don't think he likes me back."

"then kick him to the curb." i tell her, applying my last coat of mascara on. "find someone better."

"like johnny?" she grins, her one front tooth, missing.

i nod and laugh, "yes, like johonny."

i see her stand up, she's dressed in her frozen onesie for bed as it was almost seven o'clock. even though it was a friday night, she was still made to go to bed earlier.

"wear this, allie" she smiles, her eyes glistening at a simple, diamond neckless laying on top of my jewelry box. "ethan will love it."

i smile at her, "thanks, ava."

after i had finalized my outfit which were a pair black, high waisted skinny jeans, a simple white tank top and pink, cozy cardigan over top that hung to about my mid-thigh. i roll up the sleeves and push my wavy hair forward as i take my final look in the mirror, somewhat feeling beautiful for once.

i was more excited and nervous than i should be. ethan and i have gone out together before, but i realize that i kind of like him now and it's more nerve wrecking that it's basically a date. all the pressure is on.

we're going downtown to the carnival and i'm pretty sure we're going to see multiple people from school there as well, but hopefully it all passes smoothly.

ethan said he would pick me up at seven thirty, and i was constantly glancing out my bedroom window to see if he was here.

ava's babysitter, leslie is downstairs watching rapunzel with ava to try and help her fall asleep, but i don't think it's working as i hear ava laughing hysterically. leslie has been a family friend of ours since i was about five, she's my age but she attends a different school. we were inseparable when we use to have family gatherings.