Staying the night

The uber to Joe's flat went quite quickly, the drive was quiet-not awkwardly so, it seemed that each other's presence was enough.

Joe unlocked his front door and we walked in, he flicked on the light switch. As our eyes adjusted we saw the larger bottles left from our pre drinks from earlier on. I took off my heels and started collecting the empties, easier then doing it in the morning.

"You don't need to do that!" Joe exclaimed taking the bottles from me and putting them in his bin.

"Well it's either now or tomorrow when we're hung over" I laughed

Joe said that he would sleep in Caspar's bed and let me sleep in his. As joe was fetching me one of his old t shirts and a pair of jogging bottoms to wear I checked my phone.

I had 4 missed calls from Lucy and a few dozen texts, which all basically read the same thing: "sorry".

"Let me guess you've received the "I'm sorry" text from Lucy then?" Joe asked as I locked my phone, not bothering to reply.

"I guess it's really that predictable hey" I replied taking the clothes Joe had handed me. He sat down on his bed and I sat next to him, the clothes folded on my lap.

"Look y/n/n I know I've only just met you but you just seem like such a genuinely nice person, and after talking tonight it's clear that you've been through ever so much and the thing is Lucy knows this. She shouldn't have called you out like that, put you on the spot, its not fair and its not what a best friend should do" Joe stated, "However" he continued, "we've all said and done things we didn't mean when drunk, and tonight I think that that won't be Lucy's only drunken mistake if you get my drift" Joe said raising his eyebrows. I figured he was talking about Caspar. "I'm not a girl and can't say I'm great with advice, but today I'm 23 and in 23 years I've learnt to sleep on it and let things settle, message Lucy in the morning, yeah?" Joe finished grasping my hands as my eyes welled up.

How was it that he was so rational? We had both drank a lot, but I think after Lucy's outburst we were sort of forced to sober up. Joe's advice seem very sensible and I decided to take it, I'd message Lucy in the morning.

"Thank you" I said gently, placing a soft kiss on Joe's cheek.

He flushed red, and shot up to standing.

"It's er well its late, I hope my clothes don't swap you and if you want me-no I mean need me- no I mean need anything, I'll be next door" Joe's stuttering had seemed to reappear.

"Thank you Joe" I said as he closed the door.

I walked into his ensuite and took off my clothes, standing there in my underwear. I grabbed the shirt Joe had given me to wear. It was a grey t shirt, that came to about my mid thigh. I also slipped on the joggers. They weren't too long as Joe isn't too tall, they were just quite baggy, but very comfortable. I folded my clothes and picked up my bag and phone, walking them across the room to place them on the desk chair. I turned off the light and slipped into Joe's bed. His pillow smelt like him-obviously. It was quite a deep, relaxing, warm scent.

A scent that I fell asleep to.