Chapter 1

A scared young girl quietly sneaked down the stairs and out the big house, that after all this year's still couldn't feel like home. Carefully, she opened the wooden the door. Her heavy backpack hopped up and down, seemingly making the loudest noises she had ever heard.

Her uncombed curls fell into the girls face and made it difficult for her to see anything. Her way too large trousers grazed against the floor, her white shirt had holes in it and the cold air brushing against her naked skin made the girl shiver.

With shaking hands, she clinched onto her red leather jacket. The only thing left from her real mother. The only thing, that kept her hope alive all those years.

The farther she went from the house, the faster her steps became. Suddenly, she fell over the shoelaces of her old, too small sneakers. The girl felt gravel of the road pushing into her palms and through the skin as she landed on the gateway. A short but loud and painful scream echoed through the pitch- black night. Seconds later, the girls hands flew to her mouth and covered it in regret.

Faster than ever, she jumped up and started to run. Hoping they would still be asleep. Hoping she didn't wake them. Hoping she could get away.

She ran down the streets, trying to stay out of the lights so nobody could see her. Running faster than ever, she soon reached places, she had never even heard the name of. But the adrenalin in the girls veins slowly vanished and the pain started.

Her lungs burned and felt like they could collapse any second. Her heart was beating out of the girls chest and the muscles in her legs gave in and made it difficult to walk let alone run.

Heavily breathing, the girl came to a halt and fell to the ground. Knowing, that staying here was not an option, she stood up and made one step after another. Slowly reaching the bus stop, she could already see from afar.

As the bus eventually came, she gave all her money to buy a ticket and sank into the first free seat she could find. Finally, the girl allowed herself to rest. She leaned back and just breathed in and out. Trying not to think about the past or future. Not to think at all.

Breathing in and out. Trying to contain the shaking. In and out. Trying to suppress the fear. In and out. Trying not to cry. In and out. Trying to forget, what can never be forgotten.