Chapter 26

It was hard for Emma to stick to the deal.

On the first day she delayed the meal until the evening. But when Mary Margaret called the girl for dinner, she knew that she couldn't avoid it any longer.

She took the smallest slice of bread she could find and stared at it for a few minutes. The first bites were not as bad as she had imagined, but when half the bread was gone she got the urge to vomit.

Disgusted, Emma put the bread on her plate and continued to stare at it. The conversation between David and Mary Margaret fell silent and all eyes were on the girl.

When Emma finally dared to look up, she saw nothing but disappointment and a small spark of hope in the eyes of her foster parents. So she took the bread back in her hands and struggled through the last few bites.

A big grin formed on Mary Margaret's face and she turned back to her own food.

On the second day, Emma decided to have an apple for lunch. Slowly, she hollowed out the apple and cut away as much as possible. Then she took one bite at a time and was puzzled that she had forgotten how good apples actually tasted. But despite everything, she had to fight through the last few bites again.

On the third, fourth and fifth day, there were no changes. But on the sixth and last day, Emma noticed that while she was still not hungry, she did not have to fight through the meal anymore. An empty plate, which was once full of noodles, stood in front of her and thoughtfully but also a little proudly she stared straight into it.

And a few hours later, she sat in the car on the way to Regina. She could not wait to see Regina's reaction if she told her about today's meal.

Bewildered, she saw that Regina was waiting outside.

"Hello, Emma. Nice to see you, "she said and then went to the other side of the car to talk to David.

A few minutes later, she returned to Emma and together they walked up the stairs to Regina's office.

Finally, sitting on the couch, the psychologist turned to Emma and asked, "So, how are you?"

Emma smiled and answered with an honest 'good'. Because since Regina stayed with her, Emma had not even thought about Greg once. Her thoughts were always busy with something else.

"I'm glad to hear that. David told me you stuck to our agreement? "

Emma nodded proudly. "Yup. At first it was really hard! But today I didn't even feel sick anymore! "

A smile formed on Regina's lips and she proudly squeezed the blonde's hand. "That's great! But you can't stop with it now! "

Emma nodded. "Yes I know. But I'm still not really hungry, "she admitted sheepishly.

"That'll come," Regina said, smiling encouragingly at Emma.

Emma nodded and suddenly looked at Regina with sparkling eyes. "So, what's my surprise?" She asked, excitement clouding her voice.

Regina chuckled. "You will get it tomorrow. I'll pick you up at 9, "she answered mysteriously.

"And what is it?" Emma asked curiously.

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise," Regina winked.

Emma pouted and then said, "At least a hint?"

Regina chuckled and thought about it for a moment, "It's outside of Storybrook. But I won't tell you anything else! "

The girl was still not quite happy, but she stopped asking.

The psychologist squeezed Emma's hand before releasing it and changing the subject. "How was your week, Emma?"

"It was okay. There was nothing special. I was mainly at home and didn't do anything," the blonde replied.

Regina picked up a notebook and briefly scribbled something on it. Curious Emma stretched a little to read what was written on it but Regina noticed Emma's intentions and closed it again.

"What're you writing?", The girl then asked.

"Things that I think are relevant," the woman explained briefly.

"Relevant for what?" Emma asked.

"For your recovery. Last week you still lied to me when I asked you how you were feeling. Today you didn't. I write down such progress. After all, you don't want to be in therapy forever, do you? "Regina explained cautiously, knowing that many patients didn't like being reminded that they were in therapy.

"Oh, I understand," Emma said briefly, but did not seem to have any problem with it.

Regina waited a moment and when no further questions came, ​​she continued. "Did you sleep since I was last with you?"

Emma smiled and nodded. "Yes, I'm in my room again more often. I think I overreacted, " the blonde said sheepishly.

Immediately, Regina shook her head. "Fear is never to be underestimated. It was a natural reaction and perfectly understandable. Don't be ashamed of it! "She said softly and with so much understanding in her voice.

Emma could only nod and smile at the woman.