Nine

I went downstairs quietly so I didn't wake anyone up, I walked into the kitchen.  He stood there staring at me as I walked in.  He stared at his phone. 

"Why'd you ask me to meet you here at one in the morning?" Pete asked.  I walked over to him and hugged him tightly. 

"Because I need my shoulder to cry on" I said as my voice broke.  He wrapped his arms around me tightly while I cried "Why can't I be normal?" I sobbed "Why can't I let myself be happy?" He ran his hand through my hair.  "Pete I-" I gulped "I love you" I cried.  He started to kiss my forehead "I just wanna be happy" He wiped the tears off my cheeks "Can you make me happy?" I whispered.

"Yes" he said. He looked like he was about to cry himself "Yes Patrick I'll do whatever it takes to make you happy" He leant in to kiss me but we jumped away when we heard footsteps in the hall. His stupid fiancé walked into the kitchen.

"Pete?" she asked "Are you coming back to bed?" I started running the water.

"Yeah" he said. He looked at me one more time before walking out of the kitchen. I grabbed a cup for water.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"I'm fine" I said gently.

"Well in about ten seconds you're not gonna be if you don't stop fucking with my fiancé" I turned around to face her "He's marrying me, understand? Me, not you. So keep your grubby hands away from him. News flash in about two weeks he's gonna he saying I do and you're gonna be heartbroken. So stop while you're ahead. Understand?"

"You only want his money-"

"Doesn't matter what I want, what matters is you back the fuck off" she said sternly. She took the cup of water from my hands and dumped it on my head. She dropped the cup to the floor and stormed out of the kitchen. I shivered a little bit. We'll see bitch, we'll fucking see.