Chapter 32

Luke doesn't drive further into the city- he drives out of it, hugging the coastline, wind rustling through his hair. My mind is racing, wondering exactly what we're doing.

Luke is fiddling with the dials, turning on a different CD when I finally crack, curiosity getting the better of me.

"Okay, what are we doing?"

Luke smiles, glancing at me out of the corner of his eyes. "It's a surprise, Andy. Be patient."

I lean back against the headrest, watching the ocean glinting out the window. "I'm not good with surprises."

"I'll give you a hint- it involves stuff."

"Stuff? Thank you for the clarification, Lucas."

He laughs at my scowl, the sound being sucked out the window by the wind roaring in the open window.

"We're almost there, calm down."

I shut up as Luke starts singing along with the music, just letting the moment sink in. Luke and I are on our very first date, and I'm listening to him sing. It should make me happy, and it does. I feel happier here, with Luke, than I do almost anywhere else.

My eyes slip closed, sunlight still filtering through my lids, Luke's voice keeping me awake.

The car slows down a few songs later, and I blearily open my eyes again, catching sight of a deserted beach, azure waves crashing down with a rhythm all their own.

Luke comes around and opens my door for me, corners of his mouth lifted up, dimpling hard. I take his offered hand, letting him pull me out of the car.

"This isn't a Mayday Parade concert." I tease, but I really couldn't care less. Any time I spend with Luke is time well spent.

He smiles harder, pulling me towards the sand dunes. "Stay here and close your eyes." He says quickly and authoritatively, and I stay. He shuts my eyes before running off. I hear his footsteps walk back to his car before returning, setting something on the ground before I feel him stand in front of me.

"Can I open my eyes now?" I ask, but when I hear music start from directly in front in me, I open my eyes anyway.

Luke is standing in front of me, iPod Dock at his feet, playing a song I recognize as Hold Onto Me by Mayday Parade. There's also a blanket and a basket.He smiles, sheepishly this time, cheeks tinted red.

"Welcome to your own Mayday Parade concert on the beach, Andy Clementine." Luke says quietly, holding my gaze.

For a moment I'm speechless, but then I've crossed the space between us, wrapping my arms around him as if he's a lifeline and I'm drowning. My face is pressed against his chest, breathing in his scent as his arms wrap around me too, clutching me just as tightly, lifting me a few inches off the ground.

"You have a secret soft side, don't you? Romantic move, Lucas, romantic move." I get out against his black t-shirt.

Luke sets me back on the ground but doesn't let go. "What? No I don't. I just thought you'd like it and dear god you're right, you can't say anything to the boys." He groans theatrically.

I grin as he finally lets go of me. "It's okay. You're secret soft side is safe with me."

"It's only for you." Luke kisses my forehead before taking my hand and tossing me to the blanket before scooping up the dock and basket with his other hand. He leads me to a patch of sand that looks indistinguishable from the other patches of sand to me, but seems to catch his attention. I spread the blanket out, sitting cross legged on it across from Luke.