Chapter 6: Insight (Picture of Gabe)

Tristan's Point Of View

Sitting in homeroom just a few rows away, I couldn't help but stare at her. Why haven't I ever noticed how beautiful she truly is inside and out? I mean come on; I've lived next door to the girl my entire life. Sure, I waited for her to walk by my house each morning so I'd know when to leave, but other then that I never paid her a second glance.

Now I can't seem to stop looking at her, she's constantly on my mind. The way her eyes and face light up when something excites her. How she manages to brighten up an entire room with just her smile. It's adorable when her cheeks get an instant tinge of pink every time I get close. There's a fire that burns in her eyes when she's upset about something. I love her feistiness and quick-witted comebacks.

Here I thought she was a quiet girl, but given the opportunity to get to know her, you find out differently. She's a little spark plug. The scent of pineapples mixed with a hint of coconut made me think of a warm day at the beach on a tropical island somewhere. Somehow it's comforting to me, maybe because it's her scent.

I knew when I turned eighteen in the beginning of August that I would find my mate. Who would have thought, she's been living next door to me the entire time? You see when males turn eighteen they go through all these changes. It's then that his wolf possesses their full power and abilities, hence the need to find their mate.

All I know is that at the beginning of summer for the past few years, she would disappear to somewhere, maybe a relative's? Then at the very end of summer, she would come back in time to start school. So it's no surprise that I didn't recognize her as my mate, since she wasn't even around when my birthday passed.

The day Lise brought over the chocolate chip cookies, must have been the first day she returned from camp. It would really explain why the entire time we were out back playing football all I could focus on was on her scent.

Ever since that day, I've been obsessed with pineapples, it reminds me so much of her. Even now I thought of the pack of pineapple orbit gum tucked away in the pocket of my cargo shorts. At first I just thought I was imagining things, I'd catch a whiff of it here and there whenever there would be a slight breeze. Being a hundred and one degrees, there really wasn't a breeze at all.

Then the smell started to get stronger and stronger and soon I couldn't focus on anything, but that. When I heard a female clear her throat, I looked up and it's as though all time stopped. Once she lifted her sunglasses to the top of her head and our eyes locked for the first time, I instantly knew she was my mate. My wolf was trying to claw its way out of my body.

I got lost in the swirls of green and chocolate brown that made her eyes that perfect shade of hazel. Her smell was overpowering in a good way. The only thought crossing my mind was, 'So this is what Dad meant when said finding your mate is an experience like no other'.

Growing up my parents would tell us stories, us being Luke, Gabe, Jordan, Max, Sam, and I. Yes we are all wolves and we belong to the Monhegan Moonlight Pack.
There are many more wolves that belong to our pack; we all live scattered amongst our small town of Port Clyde.

As children we would always be together, we're the best of friends and so are our parents. They basically raised us all as one huge group of kids. My father is Alpha of the pack and I'll be Alpha one day in the future, but I'll get more into the details later on.

It wasn't that I didn't recognize her, it's that I was so surprised to find out she was my mate. The shy girl from next door, mate to someone the complete opposite of her and human nonetheless. She looked like a completely different person, her body filling out in just a few short months. This summer has been extremely good to her.