Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three: Tape and Glue
Keep Breathing - Lyric Video
Ingrid Michaelson
---

She'd only been home for a few hours. She thought everything was going to be okay..

Until she got the call from Gray.

•••

He couldn't hear a word the police officer had been saying. Wendy kept answering all the questions downstairs with them.

He couldn't leave the spot on the floor. The same spot he'd tried stopping the bleeding as much as he could.

Everything felt numb. Sounds of shouts and murmurs only became pointless buzzing in his ears.

It was when he heard her when he finally came back to his senses.

•••

Lucy was just going to pour herself a cup of hot chocolate, or tea or something. She was going to sit back and relax; she was going to enjoy the peace and quiet she felt for once.

But it vanished quickly.

Gray sounded terrified when she answered. She barely understood anything of the situation because of how shaky his voice had been, but she knew something was wrong.

What she came to find scared her more than she'd ever imagined.

Natsu heard her voice as she yelled for him, only to be cut off by the police. They wouldn't let her stay. They kept trying to get her out.

But she wouldn't stop trying.

"Natsu! Natsu, where are-hey! Let go! I have to see him! Let me go!" As she was being dragged out from the house, she caught a glimpse of pink. There was no way she was just going to leave. She wouldn't leave him.

"Ma'am, you aren't supposed to be in here," The officer told her.

"No, I was called. Er-I'm Natsu's gi-um, friend, I'm his friend. And I need to see him. Please," She craned her neck upward, trying to see if he really was upstairs.

"Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," He took a step closer to her.

"Okay, look, I'm his girlfriend. So if you could stop being an ass, and let me go to him, I'd really appreciate that," Lucy finally yelled.

The officer grunted in annoyance by her persistence but finally said, "He's upstairs."

She muttered a 'thank you' before she finally saw his face from the spaces between the rail of the stairs. He was against the wall, his eyes wide. Lucy bolted up the steps and saw his arms and shirt drenched in blood. She saw the dark red pool on the carpet next to him.

She didn't know what to do.

Natsu finally looked at her. He finally looked away from the large bloodstain on the carpet. He didn't bother attempting to wipe the tears away.

Lucy stood there, frozen in shock as her eyes surveyed how big the pool of blood was. She switched her gaze back over to Natsu, seeing the pained look in his eyes as he struggled to stand up.