Chapter 8: NOT EVEN CLOSE

Nagulat ako when Marge handed me a letter size envelope. Napataas ang isa kong kilay and at the same time napaatras ako.

"Open it!" She's smiling widely at me. I now can't read her. Things may be serious or not, palagi siyang nakangiti.

Slowly I get it from her and very slowly I opened it. The letter's address from Philippine Volleyball Federation.

Ilang beses ako napakurap. Pinaghalo-halong kaba or whatever these emotions are.

How is this even possible?

You are invited to tryout for U23 category to represent Philippines for the upcoming SEA games.

"Paano to nangyare?" I'm really clueless on what's happening. I'm not even part of the first six last season.

"I guess the coaching staff recommended you? I don't know. What matter is, go try it out. Malay mo that's the big break you're waiting." She taps my shoulder and when she's about to leave, she said something. "I knew it. You're really one of the best."

Natigilan ako sa sinabi ni Marge. She believes in me more than I believe in myself.

Nagkita kami ni mama after I received the invitation. She's here kn Manila for some business thing.

We had lunch together and pinag-usapan namin ang pagtryout ko sa team.

Isa to sa mga hinihintay ko, namin. Representing the country is every athletes dream.

I had a chance competing internationally. When our team competed in Singapore, stealing the bronze. Pero this one is different. I need to step up as an individual player. I can't just go there and use the name of my school.

Even ate Ly encouraged me to try it out. She will be there, so I decided going with her. Imagine, together with my senior, with the phenom, I was invited. What a luck, Jhoana Maraguinot!

***
After training, may inabot saking paper si coach Parley. It was almost a week after the try out thing.

As I read the letter, my blood was rushing all over. I am qualified. I never felt delighted as this.

Attached in the letter is the official lineup. Napangiti ako when I saw my teammate's names, Alyssa Valdez, Jia Morado, Risa Sato. At least I got someone to talk to every training.

But another name struck me.

"Bea De Leon." I read her name, sending me shivers.

Ganun ba talaga ang impact sakin ng mga teammates ko? With there mere name nakakaramdam ako ng kakaiba?

Pero most of the time, kay Bea ko lang to nararamdaman, eh.

I shouldn't be shocked. Ateneo is a champion team and being a rookie didn't hinders her to be part of the starting 6.

"Looking for me?" Nagulat ako. I totally forgot na nasa BEG pa pala ako, sa shower room to be exact.

"Huh?" Think straight, Jhoana! "Ah no, I'm just uh... reading the U23 lineup." Fuck!

"Ow yeah. You're there too, right? Congrats, Jho!" She extended her arm. She's about few inches close from me. And I'm having a deja vu. I know we never had an encounter like this, but it's so familiar.

"Thanks! You too." The moment our hands touch, parang the worms inside my tummy turn into beasts. I feel like they are growling. What is happening?