Chapter 9: WHAT'S WRONG?

"Ano ba kayo ni Maddie?" She looks at me with her right brow raised while playing with those battle ropes.

With her looks, I can say she's was surprised- as if I asked some bombshell question.

Pero di nga ba? Even me, I was shocked. I was shocked with myself for asking. I just don't let her notice it.

"Friends?" Yung feeling na para bang mahihila ako ng pull-up bar dahil sa sagot niya. "Believe me, Jhow. We're just friends."

Oh c'mon, Beatriz! I know you're not. And if oo man, then why are you two acting like there's some special connection between the both of you?

"You like her?" She now manage to give me a smile, I meant smirk.

What's funny?

"Does it matter?" I nodded. It is! Well for me, oo. And I guess, even to Mads. And uh? Maybe to others as well? "Nope, it's not, Jhow. I already lose her, there's no way of winning her back."

I literally dropped my jaw. What's wrong with her? Is she really in love with Maddie or not?

"You love her?" I paraphrased my question, thinking I will get an answer from her this time. Maybe, I'm asking a wrong one awhile ago.

I heard her laugh, sending me strong shiver up until my spine.

It was a different one, full of bitterness.

What is really wrong with her?

"What if I say yes? May magbabago ba?"

"Then why are you acting as if you don't care about her feelings if in reality you do?"

I looked at her sharply, hoping that it will send her wound. A wound that will help her realize she's wide awake and she is not having just a nightmare.

But I failed. "I hope it's that easy." She walks out, leaving me hanging in this dip station for upper body section of our workout room.

I sighed heavily as I let her dwindle from my own sight. I even heard ate Ly called her and I know she heard it too but giving a damn to anyone is not in her business this time.

Believe it or not, I'm now friends with Bea De Leon. I know it sounds so impossible, but we do.

It's all of a sudden. It's like one minute, we're strangers to each other, living in one suite of the hotel where our team will stay during the entire competition for under 23. I'm silently praying that time na sana ate Ly is roommate instead. But before everyone else knew, we're now close.

On our last day of the competition, we'll be heading back to Oakwood Premier after our last conditioning to have some rest before going to PhilSports Arena. Bea who happened to brought her car, invited me to join her instead of riding the team's service. Being a good buddy, I didn't protest. She decided to grab something to eat for our breakfast. It's her way of making up to me daw because I sleep alone last night since she needed to see her parents. Nagdrive thru lang kami and eat inside the car to have ample time to rest.

At first, we're both quiet. No one dared speaking. Hanggang sa namalayan ko nalang na her car is heading to a different direction.

I managed asking why, when I already realized that we are in a very tranquil, windy and spacious place- in the cemetery.  She said she loves the serenity of the place and I too feel the same way that's why hindi na ulit ako nagtanong pa.

Silence filled the car again. I'm busy savoring the peacefulness of the place until I heard sobs, she's crying. I was rattled because I don't know what to do. She shook her head and tell me to let her cry first.