Chapter Four

Three days later after basic training, Four and I agreed the initiates were ready to start combat. We made the groupings for today yesterday, and explained to them that they could back down if they could no longer fight. They look nervous to fight each other. I remember being very nervous my first time too, and sure enough I got knocked out in three hits. Tobias quieted everyone down so he could read off the first fight list.

“Sage and Kayleigh. Calum and James. Mason and Gavin. Jessica and Sophia. Jonah and Liam.”

One person has to sit out today, because there are an odd number of initiates. I told Four that I thought it should be Sophia instead of Olivia, but he told me that everybody already underestimates her, and that if we let her be the one to sit out they would think we were going easy on her, and he does have a point. I just have a bad feeling about Jessica being paired against Sophia. We tried to pair things as equally as we could for the first day, but Jessica still has a few inches on Sophia and is clearly quite stronger. I don’t like Jess. She puts in her Erudite two-sense too often like everything she says is a fact and she still stares at Tobias all the time. I’ve heard her talking about him a few times now, even though I haven’t mentioned it.

“I can’t fight Sage, she’s my friend.” Kayleigh said bluntly, crossing her arms.

I looked over at the two of them. They had become closer the past few days, but they were the closest in size and skill. “I’m sorry. You guys need to realize that this isn’t about hating or liking each other. You are learning to fight because I assure you 100% you will use it in the future. We aren’t doing this to be cruel. There is much to learn from this, and I suggest you all observe everyone and try to become the best in hand to hand combat as you can.” I told them.

“Let’s just do it,” Sage said, putting her hair up, and looking around the room at everyone. She walked over to the center of the mats. She looks nervous, but I’ve noticed that whenever she is hesitant about something, she stands up taller, trying to be confident.

They shook hands and put up their fists. I walked over to stand next to Tobias, reaching over and squeezing his hand quickly. He smiled and turned to look right as Kayleigh threw the first punch to Sage, hitting her square in the jaw. Kayleigh looked upset for hitting her immediately after, but Sage rebounded quickly, and punched her in the eye and then kneed her in the stomach. She winced each time at Kayleigh’s pain as if it were her own.

“Just forget everything girls!” Four called out to them in encouragement. “You’re doing great, just pretend that you don’t know each other and think strategy! What is the next best move?”

Kayleigh looked slightly angry, and lunged forward, but she stepped first, letting Sage know her next move, and she ducked to the side. I’m surprised Sage caught that, normally that’s not something you recognize as a weakness so early in fighting. Sage threw two more hard punches to her jaw once she turned around. Kayleigh kicked her shins hard, making Sage collapse to the floor as her legs gave out. Kayleigh gave her a few more hard kicks in the side and to her legs as she was down.

“She needs to get up if she’s going to win.” I whispered to Four.

“I don’t think she can, those are some hard kicks.” I looked on, thinking that he was probably right.