Chapter Twenty-Two

When I walked in the room the door was locked behind me, which made me feel somewhat eerie. I looked around to see that there are just as many people here as last time, and even some women that were not. This time there are a bunch of chairs scattered somewhat in a circle, and somebody motioned for me to sit. I sit directly across from Zayn.

“We have a lot to talk about,” He said.

“I only have an hour, so that will have to do.”

He nodded and everybody took a seat. I tried to relax back into my chair a little so I wouldn’t look too much on edge.

“So I already know why you guys formed this ‘Allegiant’ group,” I spoke. “And I thought about it a lot… You are right. I do want to know what is outside the city, which is why I originally released that video. I got distracted when I was helping reform our city, and I didn’t know that there were people keeping us from leaving. I know that Edith Prior said they needed our help out there. She said to bring divergents and to come out and help, but I don’t think that is reasonable right now. So many of us were killed off. I think we should find out what is out there and get an explanation first. But my rule is that we can’t disturb life in here.”

“We knew you would agree,” Someone said.

“I need to know facts. I need to know who is involved in this little group, and I need to know who the people are that want to keep us in. You said you had a plan, but that you needed help?”

“I wouldn’t call it a little group,” Zayn said with a grin. “We’ve been growing for over a year. People have fallen out and some have come in, but we are relatively big. I can’t tell you the names of all of us, because that would be dangerous for everyone involved, but I can tell you the names of the people that directly correspond to our plans… Our plan is to sneak through the fence, but there are many precautions we have to take because of that. Evelyn has people working with her in every faction and that is a problem, because they are watching us. They will notice if a lot of us leave, or if a lot of us meet somewhere, and they will kill us. We need all of our bases covered.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, confused. “Why can’t we just leave? If there are guards at the fence we’ll fight our way through.”

“They’ll take us down before we can get that far. As far as we know they have people monitoring the entire city on cameras to make sure that no one tries to leave.”

“This is exactly what Jeanine did.” I spat. “This is what we were stopping!”

“No, you guys were changing the part about divergents being killed. What you guys did was good and it definitely helped. It ensured that people wouldn’t be forced to be in a faction if they didn’t want to be, but there were still people who were fearful. People are scared of what is out there.”

“Everyone is scared. I’m scared. But that’s our right to leave.” I said, getting angrier and angrier.

A few people murmured in agreement. He’s right. What we set up here in the city is only half good, and I have been telling myself that it is enough. It’s wonderful that people can choose to be factionless, and that they can even change factions if they don’t see their choice fit, but half of it is still the same. Evelyn is making sure we don’t leave out of fear, just like Jeanine.

“So what you mean is that we need our people everywhere? Why do you need me to do that?” I asked.

“We have people in every faction, but it’s hard to get them where we need them since we don’t know who is with Evelyn anymore… We can’t just start putting our people everywhere, they’d find out. That’s where you come in. You know people in security, and your boyfriend is good with technology as well. We need a group of people going out, but we also need a group of people making sure they can get out. An inside and an outside team.”

“Once they find out we left what will happen?” I asked.

“I don’t think there is anything they can do if we are gone.”

We continued to talk for a while about a few of the plans they had. I talked with all of them on the pros and cons of them all, and we started working out the many details we would need to have perfected. A lot of the things they talked about were beyond me, but they told me I could be a part of the group that went beyond the fence, and that I could take a few of my own friends with me. We still had a lot to work on, so we arranged times to meet throughout the week to discuss more.

I met with them privately three more times that week and they explained to me the various ways they would have to make sure our group would have no trouble leaving. We even talked about what things would be like once/if we did get out. We don’t know much about what’s out there, but we talked about scenarios and what to do if they happened. Our plan isn’t set in stone, and I still have to tell Tobias, but I’m glad that I can be a part of this. I’ve always believed that we should leave eventually. I just hope what we find out there isn’t horrible, and that it doesn’t jeopardize the lives of the people here.