Chapter Twenty-Three

We discovered we had three divergents in our initiate class, which is insane, since just one is lucky. Tobias thinks that maybe it has to do with that fact that we have more freedom to exercise various traits of ourselves now. Jonah, Sage, and Sophia were divergent. Sophia was the most surprising out of the three. She has been completely behind on the physical aspect of Dauntless, but thrives during the second part. Its mind boggling, but maybe it shouldn’t shock me since she never once backed down during her fights and always took the beating. Yet I still don’t know how healthy it is for her to be in Dauntless if she can’t defend herself. Jonah and Sage weren’t exactly shocking to me, but I’m generally happy that it’s them. They remind me of Tobias and myself. I really like the both of them.

Jonah walked in, ready to go through his landscape again. The initiates haven’t gone through every single fear yet, so they are finishing up their last ones today. We’ll find out how many they have in total, and they will all have to face their worst fears, which is always the last one. He smiled slightly towards Tobias and I before sitting down on the chair in the center of the room.

“Good morning Jonah,” I said as I watched Tobias type things into the monitor, setting it up.

“Morning,”

“Are you ready to face your last fear?” I questioned him.

He ran his fingers through his short, dark Abnegation hair. “Yeah I guess? It’s going to be my worst fear, right?”

“Yes,” Tobias spoke from beside me. “But you are divergent, it will be much easier for you than it will be for a lot of others.”

“Right… divergent.

“Can I ask you something? You don’t need to answer if you don’t want.” He looked at me questioningly so I decided to continue. “What were your results for the test?”

“Oh. Abnegation and Dauntless.”

Hmm. Makes sense.

“Okay you ready?” Tobias asked, walking over with the needle in his hand.

“Yes,”

We watched Jonah go through his last two fears for approximately seven minutes. He has a total number of ten fears, which is good considering the average is fifteen or sixteen. His second to last fear was of him catching Sage and James during intercourse and his last fear was an odd one to watch, because it was of our city. In his fear we were placed under even bigger restrictions than we once had. He was being forced to choose a faction, except instead of five, there were hundreds of different factions, and all of them were separated by one little thing. He got through them relatively easily. He beat up James, and in the last one, he showed his divergence by defying his orders to choose a faction.

“Sorry you had to see that,” He mumbled, probably referring to the scene with Sage and James.

“You like her don’t you,” I stated.

He didn’t blush, instead he looked right at me and nodded.