Chapter Six

When we headed back to Four’s apartment late at night after eating and hanging out with Christina, Zeke and Uriah, I surprisingly wasn’t tired at all. I walked around the apartment cleaning up random things while Tobias typed out everything that went on today on a laptop. He likes to keep track of day by day events so it will be easier to rank them at the end of initiation.

“Well aren’t you a fireball today,” He said, closing his laptop and standing up to stretch.

“Maybe it was the extra thirty minutes of sleep I got this morning,” I retorted sarcastically, grabbing old papers from a desk and walking across the room to throw them in the trash.

I grabbed a broom and started sweeping, shaking my head at how much dust he lets collect on the floor. I felt the broom being removed from my hands and his hands on my hips turning me around.

“My apartment is clean enough Tris,” He said quietly.

“I guess so, I’m ju-“

“Shhh,” He cut me off. “Let’s just dance.”

He put my arms around his neck and swayed from side to side slowly. “But there’s no music…” I said, giggling.

“I don’t care,” His thumb brushed against the skin on my hip that my shirt had revealed, sending shivers up my spine.

He slowly leaned down, about to kiss me for the first time today I realized. We had been so busy all day trying to help our transfers as much as we could, and we obviously can barely touch each other around them. And then we hung around Christina and Uriah for a few hours. Right as I was closing my eyes there was a knock at the door. He sighed, pulling away and walking to the door, opening it.

“Four?” A female voice said. Huh?

I saw a sliver of Jessica’s sandy blonde hair through the door. Shit! I quietly scurried off into the bathroom. She can’t see me in his apartment at eleven at night. That would be kind of a big giveaway. All though I’m very tempted to go out there just to see the look on her face. Why is she knocking on my boyfriend’s door at eleven at night?

“Hello?” Tobias said confused.

I peeked out the crack from the bathroom door.

“Hey, can I come in?” She asked.

“Um, I’m not sure if-“ She ignored him, walking in the apartment, swaying her hips just the slightest.

“What’s the matter Jessica?” He asked in his instructor voice.

“Nothing’s the matter…”

He crossed his arms uncomfortably. “Then if there’s nothing wrong then why are you here at eleven at night? We train early tomorrow.” Tobias’s eyes darted to mine before quickly looking away.

She blushed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. I glared at her through the crack in the door. “Oh, right. I-uh... I was wondering what I can do to rank better.”

“We’ve only had one fight Jess… And we haven’t even started anything else yet. T and I told you everything you need to know today. Why didn’t you ask this earlier?”

“Uh, I don’t know. I’m just worried about my rank?” She said, hesitantly walking closer to him. I noticed she was wearing bed time clothes. A strappy tank top and short silky shorts.

My heart started beating faster in anger. I swear to god I will walk out there and slap her.

“Ok…” Tobias said. “There’s no need to be worried... Considering you don’t actually even know your rank yet.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Okay, well you should be leaving now. I was just about to hit the sack. See you bright and early tomorrow. It’s good to see an initiate who cares so much about all of this.” He said smiling.

She smiled back hugely at his compliment and waved goodbye. Once the door was shut behind her I stormed out, my arms planted firmly across my chest.

“That was odd… But it’s good to see she’s concerned that much about initiation I guess,” Tobias said, walking over to me. “Now where were we?” He tried to remove my arms from around myself but I didn’t budge.

“Tris? Whats wrong?” He asked, his eyebrows furrowing.

I glared at the wall. “What’s wrong? She obviously likes you.” I spat.

“What?” He asked, looking confused.

“Oh don’t play dumb Tobias, you know she has been hitting on you for the past four days!”

He took a step back. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I don’t like her at all. I keep hearing her talking about how handsome you are and every time I so much as talk to you she glares at me!”

He looked embarrassed, running his fingers through his short hair. “Tris stop, she’s just being nice, let’s just forget she even came. Can we conti-“

“Being nice?” I yelled. “You call that being nice? She knocks on your door at eleven at night wearing virtually nothing, aimlessly trying to make conversation with you! Do you call beating up Sophia even after she passed out nice?”

He started to look angry. “No? I didn’t mean that beating Sophia was nice. I was just saying she doesn’t like me! Why are you being like this? Stop acting… jealous!”

He did not just say that. I ground my teeth together. “Well what am I supposed to do when she’s all over you and you won’t even let us act like a couple in public so that she can see you’re mine and stop it?!”

“Stop yelling!”

“You stop yelling!”

“You started this! I just wanted to have a good night with you and you accuse me of playing dumb and of Jessica liking me!”

“Why won’t you just admit that you know she does then? If she’s so nice and innocent, and I’m just being too jealous then why don’t you date her instead?!” I screamed, running past him to the door and shoving it open.

I ran to my small apartment that I rarely ever use, locking the door behind me, even though I know he probably won’t try to come after me tonight. I collapsed onto my bed, crying. I cried until I fell asleep alone and cold in a bed that was too big for just me.