Chapter Twelve

I walked towards Christina’s apartment to tell her to get ready. She has never gone zip lining before, and she seemed jealous she wasn’t invited last year, so I knew she would love to come. All though I believe Uriah would’ve invited her if I didn’t. They seem to be a lot closer lately. I knocked on her door and she came to open in a couple seconds later.

“Hey,” She said.

“Do you need to get ready?” I asked.

“Nope,” Her outfit looked fine, black pants, a black shirt, and a zip up sweatshirt. Pretty similar to mine, except she is wearing sneakers and I’m wearing boots.

We walked towards the exit of Dauntless to meet everyone by the train tracks. “Are you nervous?” I questioned her.

“Not really… I’ll let you know when I’m standing on a hundred story tall building about to fly down it on a who knows how safe zip line.” She laughed.

“No one’s died yet!” I told her. “All though I almost did… Just don’t forget to pull the brakes when you near the end. I waited a little too long to do it. I nearly became a splat on a brick wall.”

She nudged me in the side. “Don’t scare me!”

“I’m not! Just making sure you don’t do the same thing.”

We walked out near the tracks and sat down, a bit early. “So… How’s things with Four?”

“Good,”

“Have you guys…done it yet?”

I looked away, hoping she wouldn’t see the blush creeping to my cheeks. “You ask too many personal questions.”

“Well I’m your best friend! And for some reason I just know you wouldn’t tell me if you did!”

“It’s not something you often bring up in conversation,”

“IS THAT A YES?”

No!

“Oh,” She said glumly. Sometimes I think Christina is more worried about my love life than hers.

“But I think we will… soon.” I told her awkwardly.

“How do you know?”

“It’s just… I don’t know. I don’t feel as scared as I used to. It’s harder and harder for me to stop every time things go far. I know he doesn’t want to stop, and I sort of don’t want to anymore either. I’m just nervous.” I plucked at the grass, looking around at the big Dauntless buildings in the dark.

“That’s a good sign Tris! And everybody is nervous the first time. I’m sure he’s more nervous than he’s letting on. But afterwards I know you are going to be thinking about how silly you were to be scared. He worships the ground you walk on. Nothing will go wrong.”

I smiled at her. I heard voices in the distance and saw some flashlights come into view. I stood up, brushing myself off. Just then, the sound of the train tracks started clacking, and it rounded the corner. They started running, almost to us now. I started to run as the train came up by me. I grabbed onto the door on the first car and pulled myself in, followed by Christina. A couple seconds later more people hopped on. I counted six of them.

“Hey guys,” Zeke said, clicking his flashlight off, since it wasn’t needed with the dim lights on the train.

“Hello,” Christina greeted them back.

“Let me introduce you all. This is Christina and Tris.” He said, gesturing towards us. “This is Axel, Cora, Lauren, and Evin.”

Out of all of them only Lauren is familiar. She trains the Dauntless borns and was in Tobias’s initiate class.