Chapter Twenty

I knocked on Christina’s door, trying to shake out all of these new curious thoughts bobbling around in my head. Thoughts that I somehow managed to suppress for over a year. I have other things I need to focus on. Like Tobias, and my initiates. I can’t forget that I have other priorities just because of this new group that apparently needs my help. Christina opened the door with a smile on her face. Her smile disappeared once she saw me, and she grabbed my arm, pulling me in and shutting the door behind me. Is she that disappointed that it was me?

“What the hell happened to your face?”

Oh. That. I sort of forgot about that until now. But now that I think about it, it’s kind of throbbing. I must’ve dropped my icepack when I was attacked. “Is it bad?”

She handed me a small mirror and I looked at my face in it. My nose is black and blue, with some dried blood in my nostrils. My left eye has even started forming a bruise underneath it already. She put an icepack in my hands and I felt immediate relief once I held it to my nose.

“What happened?” She asked as we walked over to her couch.

“An initiate punched me in the face.”

She looked confused. “Brave initiate…”

“Four was beating him up pretty bad and I went in to stop it and he accidentally hit me in the face.”

“Why was Four beating up an initiate? He doesn’t seem like he would be the type to be excessively cruel to them. Considering he hated Eric so much.”

“The boy… likes me I think. He’s been acting weird around me and then he snapped at Four and called him an idiot. I’m disappointed with Four for doing that though... That wasn’t right, regardless what Gavin said. The boy was just trying to protect me, even if it was dumb.”

“You two seem to attract a lot of attention from these sixteen year olds,” She laughed.

I gave her a glare. “I wish we didn’t.”

“Do you have to train again later?”

“No, we trained for five hours. They have final fights tomorrow, so they have the rest of the day off to rest. What about you? Do you have to work?”

“I have a really late night shift.”

“Do you want me to leave so you can sleep?”

“No, I slept super late. I woke up like thirty minutes ago. Tell me about your capture the flag game. Uriah tried telling me about it, but you know how he is. He gets so excited and talks so fast…”

I told her about the game and a little more about some of the initiates as we cooked lunch together. She made me try on a few dresses that she said she never wore, and gave them to me. I noticed that she talked a lot about Uriah, but I didn’t mention it. We talked for so long about random things including her mother and sister, and about her work. She loves being able to visit them, which at one point we weren’t allowed to. “Faction before blood” and all that.

When we got hungry again we made cake, which was interesting, just like our lunch. 95% of the time we just go to the cafeteria in Dauntless. I always used to wonder why Dauntless don’t make their own food. I still am not entirely sure why. When Christina started painting my nails black on the floor of her room she brought up Tobias again for the first time since this morning.

“So are you going to avoid Four all day?”

“No,”

“He’s probably beating himself up over it.”

I smiled a little. “I think he’s scared of me. He obviously knows I’m here and he hasn’t come all day. He must think I’m madder than I really am.”