Chapter Twenty-One

The next day seemed to go by pretty quickly. Tobias apologized to Gavin even though I didn’t ask him to. I know for a fact that if Gavin ever acts like an idiot like that again Tobias won’t apologize for what he does to him, and I may not even be mad. Boys sometimes have to deal with things in a physical way to get what they mean across.

The initiates had their last fights, and to make things fair we completely selected the pairs randomly.

Kayleigh beat Sophia in a pretty easy fight. Calum beat Jonah and also Mason. One person had to fight two people because nobody could sit out on this last fight and Calum was chosen by chance to fight twice. He didn’t seem to have much difficulty and I could tell many of the initiates were relieved it wasn’t them who were picked. James, to my dismay, won in a fight against Sage. Who knows whether he will be back to being mean to her now or if he will continue to “like” her. I wonder if Jonah is still ignoring her…

 Jessica won in a close fight against Liam, and Gavin beat Olivia. They all have the rest of the day off, since some of them are pretty beat up. They’ve worked incredibly hard these first two weeks, and the next three weeks might be much harder. Who knows who will stand out and who will fail in the second and third stage of initiation. We’ll finally be able to be sure about who is Divergent. Tobias and I both have our ideas, but you can never be sure.

We spent the rest of our day with Zeke, Uriah, and Christina. I eventually had to pull Christina aside, because I have to meet with the people who call themselves the Allegiant tonight. Tobias will know if I randomly leave at twelve o’clock, so I’ll have to tell him I’m sleeping over Christina’s.

“Hey, can I talk to you real quick?” I asked her when the boys seemed distracted.

“Sure,” She said.

“Can I stay the night tonight?”

“How come? Are you and Four fighting again?

“No, no it’s not that. I just… I can’t tell you. Believe me I would if I could. I might be able to tell you eventually, but it’s too dangerous right now Chris.”

“What? What are you talking about? Are you getting yourself into trouble again?”

“I hope not. But it’s too late for me. I’ll tell you if I can, but I need to meet with some people tonight and I can’t do that with…”

“Four knowing,” She said, finishing my sentence. She looked over her shoulder to make sure they were still preoccupied. “Tris, why are you lying to him? That never works.”

“I’m not lying to him. I’m just not telling him everything that I could be. And for a good reason. I can take care of myself, I’m not going to get hurt, and I’ll tell you guys eventually, just please.”

She looked at me for a moment, her arms crossed. “When are you going?”

“Twelve,”

She sighed. “Fine, but if you aren’t back by one I’m telling Four.”

“Okay. That’s fine. Thank you. I can never say that enough it seems.”

She rolled her eyes. We walked over to the boys; well I walked over to Tobias… Christina sat next to Uriah and immersed herself in conversation again. I stayed pretty quiet for a while, only speaking when I was spoken to. I can’t help but wonder what the “Allegiant” will tell me tonight. What are their plans for leaving? And if I agree with them, is it best for me to tell Tobias? I know I can’t lie, he definitely wouldn’t forgive me this time, but he could get hurt. Everybody can get hurt. Zayn said so himself… There are spies here in Dauntless, making sure that people don’t try and leave. Why don’t they want us to leave? That should be our decision.

“Tris, you want to go home? You seem tired.” Tobias said quietly to me.

“Huh? No, I’m not tired at all. And I forgot to tell you, I’m sleeping over Chris’s house tonight.” I said, avoiding his eyes by tracing my fingers across his black shirt, acting distracted.

“Can you just come home tonight? You saw her all yesterday and tonight.”

“I know and I want to see her more. She’s my best friend.”

“Just go another night, you look exhausted.”

“I’m not tired.” I snapped. “Four, I already promised her. You can deal with one night without me.”

His eyebrows furrowed and he looked away. I don’t want to be mean, but he won’t agree unless I’m like this. “Okay,”

I scooched over onto his lap, hiding my face in his neck and closing my eyes. “You know I love you?”

He nodded. “Don’t stay up too late okay? Get some sleep.”

“Tris?” Christina called. “You ready to go?”

I shook my head yes. I don’t want to leave him, especially knowing I’m going to do something behind his back, but I’m going to tell him soon, so it’s okay. “Bye,”

I stood up and said goodbye to Zeke and Uriah.

“What if he knows you are doing something behind his back?” She asked once we were down the hall.

“He doesn’t,”

“Well how long are you planning on keeping this from him?”

“Until I know it’s safe,”

“How do you know it’s safe for you?”

I put my hands in my pockets, walking in through the door behind her. “It’s not.”

“I don’t like you doing this kind of stuff,”

“I know, okay? It’s kind of necessary right now.”

“Whatever. So were you hard on him last night? Was there makeup sex?” She asked, changing the subject.

“No I wasn’t, but we talked about quite a few things. And no?

She giggled at my defensiveness. “Oh yeah I forgot. You guys are still taking it slooowww. Well you are leaving for your mysterious gathering in an hour, but I’m going to bed. If I wake up after one and you aren’t here I’m getting him. So wake me up when you get back.”

“I will,”

I picked up one of Christina’s books while I waited, not really interested in reading, but wanting to pass the time by faster. I started getting ready five minutes before twelve. I grabbed one of Chris’s guns and slipped it between my waistband and pulled a black jacket over me so it’s not visible. I want to be prepared for any possible scenario.

I started walking down to that same hallway only one minute before twelve, and sure enough after only ten seconds of standing there a guy walked down it. He looks like the guy who “kidnapped” me yesterday. I did as they told me to do, and followed behind him at a distance. Hopefully they know what they’re doing.