Chapter Seven

I woke up slightly confused as to why my face was sticky and why I was in my room until it dawned on me what had happened last night. Tobias and I got into a fight. And of all things it had to be about freaking Jess. I got out of bed, hopping in the shower to try and melt away my bed head and puffy eyes with hot water. I can’t believe he wouldn’t admit that she clearly has been snobbing all over him! And the worst part about it is he dared to call me jealous! I’m just upset that he thinks I’m supposed to sit around pretending to not be his girlfriend. I know that we decided it was best because of how common my name was during the rebellion and that we need to act like instructors, but it’s hard when a young Erudite girl keeps hitting on him.

Maybe I’m being completely biased with my thought process here, but I’m just so annoyed and angry and upset. Tobias and I used to argue a lot when we were traveling from faction to faction after the simulation, but that was different. It was over important things and decisions, like me thinking that it was best for me to sacrifice myself to Jeanine, which I now know was dumb of me. But this is stupid.

Once I was dressed, and in a bit more revealing shirt then I usually wear might I add, I stormed out of my apartment. Thinking about everything that happened made it all fresh in my mind again. I walked to the Dauntless cafeteria, knowing that it’s too early to go to the training room already. I grabbed a muffin and a piece of toast and then sat down.

“Why are you glaring at your muffin?” Christina said from behind me.

“I am not,”

She held her hands up in defense, sitting down across from me. “Okay, okay… Sassy pants. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I mumbled, taking a bite from my muffin.

She narrowed her eyes. “I may not be a mind reader, but I am from Candor. What’s wrong Tris, you can talk to me. Is it Four?”

“Yes,” I said hesitantly.

“What happened, come on, I can’t guess everything.”

“We had a fight,”

“Well duh,”

“You know how we aren’t ‘dating’ in front of the initiates? Well this one transfer from Erudite keeps throwing herself all over him, and she came over late last night and make up an excuse to talk to him. He was acting oblivious to it all and said she was being nice and called me jealous. I’m not jealous over a sixteen year old! He’s four years older than her. I’m just mad he won’t let us act like a couple in front of them. It’s pointless.”

“Ouch. Were you yelling at him?”

“Maybe,” I said, chewing on a piece of toast.

“Well maybe he was just being defensive. Guys are really ignorant and they sometimes don’t notice things like we do. He could have honestly never noticed. If you were yelling at him about it I can see how that would come out of his mouth.”

“I just don’t understand why we are hiding things from them,”

“Maybe he thinks he’s protecting you… I know Four and he loves you a lot and he can be protective. How could he not after everything that has happened this year? He’s almost lost you so many times.”

“I just want to wait it out. If Jessica is so nice maybe I should give her a chance. I’ll show him what it’s like to pretend to not be dating.” I said, standing up.

She glanced at my chest. “He’s going to be begging for forgiveness when he sees you in that shirt”

“Good,”