Chapter Thirty-Two

Tori was the only one we lost. Everyone else made it to the car safely. Johanna was the one driving, so since our plan didn’t go as planned she had to leave with us. Somehow they noticed a car was missing, and now they will know we left. Who knows what will become of the city now. Whether they will increase security 100x or what… There’s nothing we can do about it now but hope that the Allegiant inside are safe.

Tobias’s arm was only grazed with a bullet and not actually shot. It’s amazing how if he was a fraction of an inch in another direction he would’ve been fully shot. The bleeding seemed to stop when he wrapped something around it, but I’m sure it still hurts. He hasn’t let go of me since we left. Splitting up from me scared him to death. Apparently I was the last one to the car.

We all looked around as we drove. The world out here seems to be even worse off than we knew… There are old rusted train tracks, random paths of rubble concrete, completely torn down piles of brick, collapsed power lines, and signs lying on the ground. It looks as if a world war wiped out the face of the earth and took all signs of life with it.

After a long time of driving through the endless murky landscape I hear something. It sounds like a low rumble, but I can’t be sure whether it’s just me. I wait a moment and then I’m sure that I can actually hear it.

“Everyone stop!” I say, and to my surprise, everyone stops talking and even the car stops moving.

The sound gets louder and then we see a truck coming towards us from the side. A woman hops out of the truck and walks a little closer to us, holding up her empty hands.

“Hello,” She says. “I’m Zoe. And this is Amar.”

“Amar? Amar died.” Tobias says.

“No I didn’t.” The man says, stepping out of the truck.

Tobias freezes besides me. Amar? Wasn’t that his instructor? Tobias mentioned once about him being the only reason he lived. His instructor apparently helped him through initiation by hiding is divergence, but ended up murdered for his own. Yet here is this man, claiming to be him.

“We work with the organization that made your city. The same one with Edith Prior.”

She showed me a picture that had my mother in it. She was young, but it was definitely her. We rode with them back to what she briefly explained to be the Bureau of Genetic Welfare. She caught my interest long enough for me to trust her to get an explanation. When we reached these buildings surrounded by a tall fence the car stopped.

“This is the Bureau,” Zoe said. “Now I know you probably have no clue what that means, but if you come inside we can explain to you.”

I glanced off to the side to a large object that was almost hidden by a building. It had wings, like a bird.

“We’ll come as long as we have the freedom to leave at whenever we please,” Christina replied firmly.

“Okay. But you have to leave your weapons,”

“Why?” Christina asked.

I looked around the unfamiliar world, not sure how safe I would feel completely abandoning my only source for protection. They haven’t given me a reason to not trust them yet… And Zoe showed me a picture of my mother. That has to be enough to give them some of my trust.

“Just do it,” I said, looking at all of them.

Once we put our weapons down we started walking towards what looked to be the entrance of the buildings. I got another glance at the large bird like structure.

“What’s that?”I asked.

“Oh, that’s an airplane. The bureau of Genetic Welfare used to be an airport before it became an agency of the United States government.”