Chapter Eighteen

A lot of the initiates can definitely improve. We only have a couple more days of the first part of initiation before we move onto fear landscapes. We shot guns for two hours straight, and worked with them one on one, giving them more tips. Capture the flag seemed to be a wakeup call to some of them that they needed to step up their game.

 I tried to not think about Tobias’ and mine private life while we were training, but every time he so much as skimmed my hand I practically went red in the face. We started working with them individually again, helping them with fighting technique for the last time before their final fight tomorrow. Almost all of them have gotten better at everything. Sophia is the one exception to that statement, but I plan on talking to Tobias about that later.

 We called Olivia over next. She is doing fine. She doesn’t have much force, but somehow she is incredibly knowledgeable about the pressure points in a person’s body, and manages to hit me in them dead on every time. It definitely winds you for a moment. It’s not a game winner against me or Tobias, since we are much more skilled in combat, but it could definitely help her against somebody else.

 We motioned for Kayleigh to come over. We worked with her mainly on fighting stance, since her tall stature seems to off balance her a lot, especially when she’s fighting somebody shorter. Her punching is average, but she has powerful legs, so if she can get someone down, like she did to Sage in their first fight, she might have a good chance.

I glanced around the room, looking at them as they punched bags, practiced throwing knifes. They look pretty bad ass now. It’s gratifying knowing I helped make them like this. “Jonah?” Tobias said deeply.

He walked over looking furious, his hands in fists at his sides.

“You… okay?” I asked him hesitantly.

“Yes,” He snapped. This is weird… Jonah is usually super kind and collected.

Tobias and I gave each other a quick glance before starting. We gave him tips on technique, since he is already extremely physically strong. Just looking at him he doesn’t seem that built, Tobias looks much more muscular, but Jonah is pretty dang sturdy in a fight. Tobias could kick his ass, but Jonah would be a pretty even fight for me, especially today when he’s in this mood. Tobias pulled him aside to talk to him after we instructed him for thirty minutes. I looked around the room, and noticed James was smirking in the direction of Jonah and Tobias. Is it James that has got him like this?

“What was it?” I whispered to Tobias once he finally came and stood by me. He faced away from everybody, his back to everyone as he talked to me. “He wouldn’t tell me what it was specifically, but he said he was sick of-“

“James?” I asked.

He raised an eyebrow. “How did you know?”

“I just had a feeling.”

He nodded, turning away from me. “Sage,” I said loudly.

“I need to use the bathroom Tris. I’ll be right back.” I watched him walk off before turning to Sage.