Chapter Thirty-One

The next night was the night that we would be departing on our mission to leave, and I was more geared up than worried. I had a lot to do, and worrying wouldn’t do me any good. Besides, this is what I wanted to do all along. I’ll finally get to find out what’s out there and why they want divergents to join them. I’ll even discover why divergents are different, because to me, all of us are divergent in a way. I’ll even find out if the genetic thing is true.

During our last few meetings I had learned that there were more people involved in this Allegiant group than I had known. Zayn in fact, wasn’t the only person who had been organizing it. Tori and Cara had been involved since the beginning! It was a major shock to me. Tori, the lady who did my aptitude test and tattoos hadn’t come to any of the meetings until the last few days, and Cara, Will’s older sister was an Erudite hadn’t either!

Apparently they couldn’t tell me because Tori and Cara knew so much information so they wanted to limit the amount of people who know that they were a part of the Allegiant. We’ve had to be so cautious with everything since everyone knows that Evelyn has people keeping an eye out in every faction. All of our recent meetings have only been with the people who are directly involved with the escape plan. Everyone else hasn’t been allowed to come, just as a precaution.

We had been planning this for a month, and we have everything down to the last detail. When we met that night in the same room we decided to go over it once more. Zayn was standing in the middle of the room, pacing back and forth as he spoke.

“If I’m missing anything or if you guys have a question speak up please... So the night will start by shutting down the cameras. We have somebody working in the Dauntless control room who has been trained by Four on how to shut down all security.”

“Wait,” I said, interrupting him already. Everyone turned to me. “How will we know that person will be safe? Shutting down all security is completely suspicious, they’ll kill him.”

“We’re feigning ignorance,” Zayn said.

“Huh?”

“It’s Jonah,” Tobias whispered in my ear. “I’ve been speaking with him these past two weeks because he was confused about divergence. Remember that tattoo on his arm? He’s like you. He doesn’t understand how he is separated from the rest of us. I told him about the Allegiant and he wanted in. This was the only way he could help.”

Jonah? He told Jonah the sixteen year old initiate? That’s such a dangerous move. How do we know we can trust him?

“How did you know he wouldn’t tell anybody?”

“Just trust me. I knew.”

He has a point. I suspected Jonah was different all along. Ever since he said that his tattoos represented the factions all coming together. But he could still get hurt!

“But how?”

“Yesterday the initiates chose their jobs. He was ranked first, and he wanted to be in the control room, like me. So I let him know how he could help us. I showed him how to shut the system down. Today is his first full day on the job, so no one will think anything of it. That’s what Zayn meant by him feigning ignorance.”

“Okay,”

“The cameras will only be shut down temporarily, so we’ll have to be fast.” Zayn said. “Once we get outside the fence, it will mostly just be walking. We don’t know how long it will take for us to find something or someone. Our people in all the factions are aware that tonight is the night that we are leaving, so they are ready.”

“How will we give them feedback once we’re out there? We might not make it back, but they deserve to know what we find.” Christina said from besides me.