Chapter Five

When I rolled over the next morning I didn’t feel Tobias’s body next to mine. That’s odd; usually I wake up before him. I ignored the worried feeling that automatically swells in my chest when I don’t wake up with him right besides me. I stretched my arms out across the bed to make sure he really isn’t there and sat up with a groan. I spotted a note on the bedside table, and grabbed it, rubbing my eyes.

You looked very peaceful sleeping.

Did not want to wake you.

Be in the training room by 8:30,

I’ll set up today and get you breakfast.

I love you,

Tobias

I smiled, looking at the alarm clock next to me to see that it is 8:00. That gives me a half hour to get ready. I decided to take a shower and when I was done I brushed out my hair and walked out into the room with just a towel around me. I threw on comfortable black stretch pants and a tight shirt that shows my shoulder tattoos and my three ravens on my collarbone. I lined my eyes with black really quick before heading down to the training room. When I walked in everyone was just starting to show up. I headed over to Tobias.

“Well good morning sleepyhead,” He said grinning.

“You could’ve woken me up,” I said quietly, seeing the initiates gather in the room.

“No, it’s fine. Here’s a muffin, I don’t know if you’re hungry or not.”

I accepted it, smiling and ripping off a piece. “Is everyone here?” I asked louder, turning to everyone.

“Yes,” One of them answered. I looked them over. A few of them have black eyes and a couple have bruised jaws.

“Who’s sore?” I asked. They all groaned in response.

 “Unfortanately that’s the result of hard work. Either you’ll get used to it or you will toughen up and learn to win your fights.” Four said. “Be lucky that you are this year’s initiates, because last year was much more violent. We aren’t making you fight because we enjoy watching you beat yourselves up, I assure you. It is essential to learn how to defend yourself.”

“We aren’t making you guys fight today, but we will be working with you all individually to show you how to improve what you did, and Four and I will show you some moves ourselves.” I added. “Split up and work on muscle building and we’ll call you out individually.”

They scattered off to various sections to warm up and start training.

“Sage?” Four called, starting with the first fighters from yesterday.

She walked over to the mats, smiling at us kindly. “Good morning,”

“Good morning. So I just want to say that your fight was really good for the first time. It was a clean fight and you were very wise about every movement, and even speculated what to do based off of Kayleigh’s movements.” Four said.