Chapter Fifteen

Everyone started whooping and I laughed, hushing them. We started walking towards the factories over the tall grass. We are pretty far outside of where people live in the city. It is not well kept out here. There is a lot of rubble, and some of us keep tripping over it in the dark, since our lights are out. We grew silent as we came closer to the two closely placed structures. Uriah whispered instructions on where to go, and we broke off into our groups, holding our guns at ready positions.

I’m happy I got to be with Tobias. I wouldn’t have objected if they thought of a plan where we couldn’t be together, but I enjoy it much more with him. I can think clearer knowing he’s within a couple feet of me. We hid behind a shack a hundred or so feet from the right side of the factories, waiting to hear yelling signaling the first group.

After a few minutes of waiting I started seeing movement at the front of the factories. Our first group is invading. I realized that the first groups completely sacrificed themselves. The Dauntless thing to do would’ve been to all go at it together, that way no one is a complete sacrifice and everyone gets their dose of adrenaline. That way doesn’t work often though. This group is smart. They are all very noble to have agreed to this.

When we heard more yelling from farther away we started moving in. That means the second group has been found. Hopefully all of the opposing team’s forces are focused on our first two groups right now. I bet they’re putting up a good fight for us. I know they wouldn’t go down easy, even if they are a sacrifice group. We stayed down low, creeping our way down the side of the building that seems vacant now. I spotted their flag outside the back, to the side of large fallen slabs of concrete wall. Someone is standing in the shadows besides it as a guard.

“What now?” Calum whispered.

“I say our best shot is to all go at it at a different angle. We need to be quick because I’m sure they are catching on that we are missing. Its three against one, I think we’ve got this.” Tobias whispered back, looking at me for approval.

I nodded. We all exchanged silent glances before going toward the goal in three separate paths. Once I got closer I could see that it was Liam who was told to guard the flag. His head snapped up when he heard something, and he shot blindly in the direction of Calum. He wasn’t precise with his aim like we’ve been trying to teach them. If this was a real life situation he would be dead meat by now. Maybe this will be a wakeup call to some of the initiates as to what they need to take more seriously.

Tobias lifted his gun, still fifty feet away, and hit him right in the leg in a single shot. Liam collapsed to the ground, clutching his leg, yelling for backup. With luck, everyone will be occupied for a few more moments. We sprinted forward to the flag that seemed to be mounted on top of steep blocks of wedged together fallen barricades from the factory walls. That will be difficult to climb, especially since I’m small.

Tobias ran to Liam, knocking his gun out of his hands before he could shoot at us. Calum and I stopped, looking up. It’s only up about fifteen feet, but it will be tricky to scale, and a lot of the grips look incredibly sharp. I was about to reach up when I felt a searing pain in my gut. I screamed, looking down to see a stimulator sticking through my shirt into my skin. I fell to my knees, grinding my teeth. I wasn’t shot during my first capture the flag game, so I didn’t know whether it would feel like an actual gun shot or if it was an exaggeration. It is most certainly not. It feels just like the shot I got in my shoulder during the simulation.

“Calum,” I spat. “Climb!”

He took a deep breath and started climbing fast. I looked up, clutching my stomach and saw Jessica grinning a few feet away. She was the one who shot me. She looked up at Calum, aiming once again. I painfully reached for my gun, knowing it would probably be too late. Jess suddenly screamed loudly, and fell to the floor. I turned around, confused, and Tobias was standing there with a gun in each hand. His and Liams. He shot her twice. His expression is livid as he kneeled down next to me.

“Tris? Are you ok?”

“Yes, it’s starting to wear off,” I said, wincing as he helped me up. I ripped the stimulator out of my stomach, throwing it to the ground.

Jess was screaming and rolling around on the floor, obviously never having felt the pain of a gunshot. Well now she knows, I thought haughtily.

“That’s what she gets for shooting my girlfriend,” Tobias said smugly.

I laughed and walked closer to Jess. “It’ll wear off in a few moments, its okay.” I told her, regardless of how much I despise her.

I heard yelling and people rounded the corner of the factory. I looked over at Calum nervously. I really don’t want to get shot at by ten more people. He grabbed the flag just as they all appeared, their guns ready to be fired. He climbed down, whooping in victory. I laughed as the rest of our team slowly made their way over and started celebrating with Calum. Their stimulator pain must have gone away, because I know for a fact most of them had to have been shot at least once. A clean victory from a great strategy plan is something to be proud of as my first year as an instructor.

Tobias pulled me into a hug, lifting me off the ground. “I knew we would win,” He said, holding my face delicately in his hands and kissing me.

“Dang!” Lauren said walking over. “How did you guys find us so fast?”

“That’s our secret!” I called out to him.

Zeke came over and patted Four on the back. “Nice man. That was a good fast tactic! That was fun. Next year you’re on my team.”

Uriah walked over. “You only think it was fun because you got to shoot me!”

“You shot me too!” Zeke replied.

They started wrestling it out, yelling profanities at each other jokingly. I kissed Tobias once more before walking over to my team to congratulate them and ask them what happened in their groups. They were all ecstatic. We all walked back for about forty minutes since we were pretty far out, and hopped on the train back to dauntless. We got home at around ten thirty, since we left at eight. We made pretty good timing so everyone will have plenty of rest for a long day of Saturday training tomorrow.