Chapter Thirty-Four

Days went by. I didn’t know what to do. My friends were all being treated fine here, but I know that’s because they were rebellious enough to join the Allegiant. If they lived in the outside world they would’ve had no chance because of their genetics.

Tobias has barely talked to me. I have tried to talk to him but he blows it off every time, and it kills me that he cares so much about what Zoe told him. He isn’t any different now. He’s still just as strong as before…

I’ve been reading diaries that Zoe gave me written by my mother when she was younger. I found out that my mother was originally from the fringe, but that she was pure. She volunteered to go into the city and had a whole plan with David. Instead she fell in love with my father and they became Abnegation. It has answered a lot of my questions.

David wants to meet with me today. He says he has something important he would like to discuss with me. He includes me in a lot of his meetings lately, and the only reason I do not object is because I prefer to be on the inside rather than on the outside, even though I hate what the bureau stands for.

I spotted Tobias walking down the hall and was about to yell for him when I saw he was with somebody. A woman. I walked closer and ducked behind a weird statue.

“What did you think about last night?” The girl asked. I looked closer and recognized her. Her name is Nita, she works here. She introduced herself  to me a couple of days ago.

My throat closed up. Last night? What have they been seeing each other about? Why doesn’t he tell me anything lately?

“It changed my perspective on a lot of things,” He answered quietly.

“I told you I wasn’t lying. You saw for yourself what life is like for the genetically damaged people out there. They are prejudice and they don’t care about us. They say that genetically damaged people are cruel and malicious and can never be right, but I know it’s not true. I’ve been working here for five years and this is the highest I can ever get!"

“It’s horrible, I just don’t understand.” He said.

“So now do you want to join? The plan I mean. You can help us. We are tired of not doing anything about it and we have what we need to take action.”

I don’t like her. I already don’t like her. She’s not telling him something, and I know it.

He didn’t answer for a couple moments. “Yes, I’ll do whatever you want me to do.”

“Awesome. I’ll tell the others. Can you meet me in thirty minutes? I think I know what we need you to do.”

“Um, yeah, I guess.” She quickly walked off and I watched Tobias walk down another hall. I waited a few moments until I went after him.

“Tobias!”

He turned around. “Tris? Where did you come from?”

I decided in that moment that it wasn’t in my best interest to let him know that I heard him and Nita. I’ll find out myself what “plan” he has joined. “I was walking down the hall and I saw you. Where have you been?”

“I’ve just been walking around for a while… What’s the problem?”

“Nothing’s the problem. Does there need to be a problem now for me to talk to you?” I asked, searching his eyes.

“No, you know I didn’t mean it like that.” He said.

I stared at him, not liking the distance between us. Is it because of Nita? What kind of lies has she been feeding him these past two weeks? I stared at my feet, speaking quietly. “Well then do you want to do something? I miss you. You haven’t talked to me much.”